Mellow Yellow

A/N: Wanted to pump one more oneshot out before the year's end! This one is in celebration of New Hair's Eve lol

                            __________________________________________________

"Hold still, Clay!"

"Ow! But you're hurting me, John Dory!"

John Dory dismissed his younger brother with a raspberry that he blew. "Pfft. How do you expect the color to stay if you don't scrub-a-dub-dub it in? Huh?" To emphasize his point, JD really began to grind into Clay's scalp with his fingers, working the product into the Troll's head.

"That's just it," Clay groaned, "I don't want it to. I don't think this is even necessary!"

JD just continued what he was doing, bending his head some so that he could speak directly into Clay's ear, loud and clear. "Clay, I'm gonna give you the best advice you can take and tell ya to follow the 'don't think' part of what you just said. I, as I'm sure you can remember, am your leader. I'll do all the thinkin' for you. And besides, how much thinkin' do you gotta do when you're the Fun Guy? You just go out and have fun!"

Clay rolled his eyes. "Who put you in charge in the first place?" he grumbled in annoyance.

JD sighed, as if Clay should have known this already. "Bro, when you're the oldest, the role automatically goes to you. And I'm doing a pretty good job at keepin' us all in line, if I do say so myself."

Ego much? Clay thought, almost disgusted at how highly his brother thought of himself. He didn't say anything though. Whenever he, or any of the bros contraindicated him, they always found that whatever they had to say was usually in one ear and out the other, unless it was them flat-out agreeing with what John Dory said.

"Plus," JD continued cockily, "I'm the smartest, too!"

Okay, so maybe joke-telling wasn't supposed to be John Dory's specialty, as he was not the assigned 'Fun Boy' of the group, but boy was that a good one. Clay cracked up, leaving JD baffled.

"Hey, what's so funny?" he asked.

Clay chuckled a few more times, wiping a tear from his eye and fibbing. "Nothing, bro! I was, um... I just thought of this great joke. Yeah!" He grimaced a little, hoping John Dory wouldn't ask what it was and, to his relief, he didn't. He patted the younger Troll on the back.

"Ah-ha! Now, that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Embracing the role that you were born to take. That's the spirit!"

Clay brushed him off. "Yeah, yeah, whatever, can you just finish up already?"

JD nodded enthusiastically. "Say no more, brother. I'll have you fixed up in a jiffy!"

                            __________________________________________________

Even though John Dory's 'jiffy' took well over an hour, Clay still felt the same sense of freedom after being released from JD's hold... and the same sense of dismay as he looked into the mirror.

"Ah, whaddya think?" JD prompted, nudging him with his elbow. "Pretty good, huh?"

Clay glanced at him. "I thought you said not to think."

JD scoffed. "Just tell me."

Clay reluctantly looked back in the mirror, tilting his head in scrutiny of his reflection. "I don't know... I wish it was still green," he finally admitted.

JD slung an arm around his brother. "Clay, yellow is a fun color. It totally works! And green is my signature color. We can't have two of the same color in the band - we gotta have a rainbro ! More appealing to the eye!"

Clay wasn't fully convinced. He reached up, touching strands that were a fabricated lemony-yellow instead of his preferred natural lime-green. "I don't know..." he said again.

"You'll get used to it," John Dory assured, not wanting to dwell on it any longer. He then turned from Clay and clapped his hands together once. "Alright! How's our frosty-baby-blue coming along?"

Clay followed his older brother as they entered the next room over and found Spruce and Floyd with Branch.

"Just about done!" the purple-haired Troll said with a thumbs up.

"Just one more piece..." Floyd said, carefully plucking out the last of the foil out from the top of the baby's head, and leaving their youngest bro with brilliant white tips and a bright smile to match.

John Dory whistled in delight. "Woooweee! That looks brodacious! "

Clay smiled down at his little bro. It really does look 'brodacious,' he could agree.

A lot more than MY hair does...

                            __________________________________________________

A/N: I have 3 different theories for the change in Clay's hair color. 1) He dyed it when he was older from yellow to green as a way to camouflage and also to cut ties with his old boyband self. 2) His hair naturally changed from yellow to green as he grew up. Or 3) He was forced to have his hair dyed from green to yellow per JD

Anyhow, Happy New Year 2024, folks! 🥳🎉👏