𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

Freya woke up in her bed, to the sound of a child's footsteps running down the hallway. Her door burst open, allowing light to stream in, illuminating the room with a yellowish glow.

"Frey-Frey!" August said, enthusiastically jumping up and down.

Freya rubbed her eyes, still adjusting to the light in the room. She looked down on the side of her bed, her eyes being met with an excited August. "Morning Augs." she croaked, lifting him up onto her bed.

"I think Santa came Freya!" he said, unable to sit still. He flopped down onto the mattress, before turning to the other side of the bed. "Who is this sissy?"

Freya turned, looking at Sam who was still dead asleep. She had forgotten that the two girls had ended up sharing a bed last night, after Sam's unplanned arrival at the Maddock family Christmas gathering. 

She smiled at August, lifting him off the bed. "That's Sam. She's my friend from soccer Auggie." The boy looked up at her, his eyes wide with wonder. "How about you go and wake up Amber and Dad? I'll come out in a second."

August ran off again, barreling down the hallway. Freya sat up against the headboard, tapping Sam on the shoulder. "Sammy."

"Mmmm, what?" Sam said, her morning voice hoarse. She looked over at Freya for a second, before pulling the blanket over her head.

"August is awake, it's time to open presents." She said, peeling the blanket off Sam.

Sam sat up, her hair messy. "Alright."

-

"A toy train!" August yelled excitedly, showing the train off to everybody in the room. "Look Aunty Sam!" He said, placing the train model in her hands. 

Well, it was interesting how quickly Sam had been upgraded to Aunty status. Her and Freya weren't even together anymore and August had already adopted the brunette soccer player into the family.

Sam smiled at him, making a pretend shocked face. "Oh my gosh August! That is so awesome!" She handed the train back to him, before sending a grin across the room and towards Freya.

Freya couldn't help but smile. Seeing her baby brother and best friend interact like this made her heart sing. 

They had been opening presents for ages now. August's pile of toys and books was giant, enough to fill a whole swimming pool. 

Freya handed Amber her present, which when opened revealed to be a framed photograph of their favourite spot to play in when they were little. The sisters shared a hug, before everyone began preparations for Christmas dinner.

The two sisters were preparing food in the kitchen, peeling potatoes and seasoning their annual Christmas ham. Christmas carols were playing softly in the background and Freya could faintly hear Sam and her dad speaking in the living room.

"So, you and Freya play in the same soccer team?" he asked Sam.

"Yeah, we're together at Chelsea and in the Tillies." Sam sounded nervous, and seemed to be blabbering on, "I'm a striker though, so we are usually on opposite ends of the field. It's really nice having another Aussie on the  team."

A look of awe must have spread across Freya's face, because she was awoken from her eavesdropping by a  sharp nudge in her ribs. "Seriously Amber?"

"Stop creeping on your girlfriend's conversation Frey, there are potatoes to be peeled." Freya sighed, going back to her job.

Just then, Sam walked into the kitchen, standing across from Freya and leaning on the countertop. "You girls look busy."