Chapter 4: I Have A Broom And I Am Not Afraid To Use It

I woke up yawning but felt refreshed. I stretch with a smile of satisfaction while popping my bones. I rub my eyes as I sit up 'Ah. Makoto is not here. She must have gotten up already.' I thought. A feeling crept into the back of my skull, I felt like I had forgotten something.

"Morning (Y/n)," Makoto greeted as she combed through her pixie hair "I didn't know you were off today. You usually work on Fridays. It is good that you're getting a day off, you seriously need one." Makoto smiles, finishing the final touches on her hair by putting a little rabbit pin to pull back a few strands of her curtain bangs.

Friday . . . Friday . . . Work . . . Alarm . . . OH MY FUCKING GOD!!!

"I FORGOT TO SET MY ALARM!!! I'M LATE!!! I'M LATE!! I'M LATE!!!" I practically jumped out of bed and locked myself in the bathroom. Brushing my teeth and hair. I burst out of the bathroom like a mad woman to the kitchen, grabbing my lunch from the fridge. "I can make my lunch but cannot set a damn alarm. How can I forget?!" I set it on the counter as I glanced at the clock. "Phew, there is still time." I looked into my bag and saw Inoue's keys. Right. I meant to give these back yesterday but forgot that too!

I took a deep breath and exhaled. Clearing my thoughts. "I can make it to the train and give this back to Miss Inoue in time, it's on the way to the station anyway. I can make it. I can make it." I was talking to myself while grabbing my purse, my phone, keys, power bank charger, and bento, and I was at the door.

I whip back around and zoomed over to Makoto "I gotta go. You gotta lock up for us today." I gave her a hug and tight squeeze "You are gonna ace that test today Mako, you're hella smart." I let her go "I believe in you. Boop —" I booped her nose and smiled big "for good luck." I chirped.

"Okay, I really gotta go. Love ya, byeee!" (A/n: Yes. Owl House reference~) I shouted over my shoulder and was out the door in a flash. For a second, I could have sworn she said something but I couldn't decipher what she said. Whatever it was I dismissed it to focus on making it to Inoue's antique shop.

»»——♡——««

"Hello?! Inoue?! You here?! I came to drop off your shop keys, I am kind of a hur . . . ry . . ." I trailed off seeing old Inoue had her back to me at first, hunching a little. I dismissed her odd posture when she turned to face me. "Oh, (Y/n). You have come back. How nice. Did you need something, young one?" She asks, approaching me with a smile.

'She didn't call me that yesterday. And what is up with this ominous feeling?' It got only stronger once Inoue was in front of me. This malice I felt in the air between us made my skin crawl. "U-Um, I accidentally took this. I would have come back last night but I, uh, forgot . . ." I mustered out that sentence without trying to crack my voice. "I can see that. I can see you also forgot to change." She snickers, sending shivers up my spine.

I look down and realize I have run out of my apartment in the cat-themed pajamas I slept in last night. I completely forgot to change out of them before I walked out of the apartment. 'So that's what Makoto was trying to tell me earlier.' My cheeks felt warm from embarrassment for a second. Becoming cold the next by Inoue's smile. It didn't have that endearing bliss like yesterday. It was more chilling and . . . sinister? "Wait here a moment. I have something for you." Her orange eyes twinkled as her smile grew "Wait here." She hummed as she walked into the back rooms. To grab this supposed "something" for me. I set my bag down on the counter while I waited.