Chapter 11: G-G-Ghost! Zoinks!

'Okay, maybe it was worse than I thought.' Shinso thought to himself after you told him how you ended up in Stella and the contract you formed with Katsuki. It was indeed a bullshit tale. You were telling him this while looking around this vast area in awe. Despite the possible demon lurking on this mountain pass, it was a beautiful place.

"So, now I am here. On a quest to get back to my sister to my world." You end the tale with a content sigh. "With the way you speak about her, Mako, I think she will be glad to see you when you get back to your world." Shinso smiled over at you. You smiled back. "Thanks." You expressed with your hands in your pockets. "Don't thank. It's something anyone would want. Even I, a demon." Shinso looked up at the sky "Honestly, I'm a bit jealous of it. Having someone to go back to . . ." His gaze saddens "I had a mother. She was strong and wise to the end . . ." Shinso took in a deep breath.

"You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to." You paused and you placed a hand on his shoulder. He took his eyes off the sky and turned to you with a small smile. "I need to say this, it's something we need to keep an eye out for." He paused then continued "My mother fought against hunters, demon hunters. We were living quietly in the woods. No one often went in them. Until they did . . . She sensed the hunters too late and only was able to hide me to keep me safe and undiscovered when they discovered her . . ." He was in a daze, pushing down the memory of that night. "She fought but was slain . . . I was forced to watch the entire thing . . . I followed them afterward and . . . they skinned for her fur and sold her bones, all for coin." He felt your hand squeeze his, rubbing your thumb against his knuckles for comfort.

After a brief moment of silence, you spoke. "Katsuki told me about hunters. To be wary of them and how they are mostly in it for coin." You looked over at Shinso "I promise that won't happen to you and I'm sorry about your mother." You empathized with his loss. Having lost your parents in different circumstances, the feeling and impact are still the same for you as you could feel it was for Shinso. Loss is unforgettable. As you can see in his eyes and the body language he gave, he wasn't lying. Not in the slightest.

"Neither of you deserved what happened." You say, gently letting go of his hand. "Yeah," He exhaled. "Sorry. I didn't mean to sadden the mood." He apologized, trying to brush off the heaviness in the conversation he just sprung up. "No. No. You're fine. It's best to talk about these things than keeping it in. When you feel like talking like this again, feel free to tell me. 'Kay?" You said with a reassuring smile. He smiled back and gave a curt nod. Ending the conversation with that. Enjoying the silence and surroundings.

'Speaking of demons . . .' Shinso and you had stayed a little back, following Katsuki's lead as he was a few feet away. The neko demon stared at the back of Katsuki's head. 'I don't understand his actions at all. Why is he willing to tolerate someone like (Y/n)? She is the first human I've encountered this nice to demons, at least harmless ones. Did he really put himself in stone? He could have eaten (Y/n) to get the Star pendant's power, why didn't he? Why is he letting her live? Was he really just bored? How can someone like him be bored? Does he have an even more sinister plan for her? For us? For the world? . . . I just don't get it. What are his real intentions?' He flinched when he met Katsuki's glanced over his shoulder at Shinso. As if he knew Shinso was thinking about him.

You muttered something that shifted Shinso's attention to you. There was a cautious look on your face. It made even Kastuki stop walking, and regrouping with the two of you - having you in the middle. All coming to a halt.