Wattpad Original
There are 16 more free parts

Ch 2: Mitch

Sorry, almost there, traffic is slow arriving

After texting Skyler, I toss the phone to the passenger seat and continue to inch along the row of cars in the arrival line. The front is just up ahead! I finally got a date with Skyler and I'm late.

A pretend date but I'll take it.

When Skyler first said he was looking for a date to piss his mom off,it annoyed the hell out of me. I don't know how he even came up with that. And what about me? I've been dropping hints right and left that I'm interested but it's like flirting with a wall. Skyler really needs to get a clue before I start feeling rejected.

I run a hand over my chin and cheek, feeling bare without the beard. The hair is fresh, too. No longer a lanky mess but trimmed and styled in short waves. All the effort to be camera ready, but I already miss the scruffy look I adopted over my hiatus.

Maybe I should have made things clear to Skyler about who I am, but...it's probably better he didn't know what he was getting himself into tonight. I'm not giving him a chance to back out. I was honest when we first met and all he gave me was a blank look. I can't remember the last time I met someone who had no clue who I was.

"Ah, I'm getting vain," I sigh to the empty car.

All this time, I've been thinking Skyler is just a sexy nerd, only talking about work-outs, his research on the ancient tribe of like-I-can-remember and, of course, his mother. And all the things that rich, mama's boy talked about and he never mentioned she was Lily Collins!

That also means Skyler comes from the family behind Collins Hospitality, one of the most recognized hotel chains in the world. Muscular, smart and loaded? I wonder how he was asking the women out for them all to say no.

My stomach twinges uneasily because I kept the full truth from the agency. It took some convincing to get them to lift my hiatus early, one mis-step now will send me right back.

My manager, Becca, hadn't been too pleased about me attending at the last minute, especially after finding out it was put on by Lily Events. She knows all of Lily's attempts to hassle and humiliate me.

Still, Becca helped me RSVP at the last minute. She dragged my stylist over in a rush, too. I owe my staff big time for all this work, but it's all for Skyler.

Finally, I reach the start of the carpeted runway. The flash of cameras is muted by the tinted windows as a valet runs over. Pocketing my phone again, I take a deep breath; it's showtime. My time away from the spotlight is over.

I get out and take a moment to straighten my outfit, the silky lining of the jacket hitting directly against the skin of my abdomen. My stylist had come through for me even though it was a rushed last-minute. I guess hanging me out like a piece of meat like this is some sort of revenge.

Turning, a bright smile in place, I start up the red carpet.

"Mitch!" "Mitch!" Mitch, over here!" "This way!"

The media crowd hollers nonstop. I pose for pictures several times along the way but don't risk answering any questions tonight. Once I make it to the top, I step out of sight from the cameras and into the grand hotel's lobby.

Even among all these people, my eyes easily spot Skyler. He's absolutely stunning in black tie. Tall and thick, his tux is simple and perfectly fitted over his well-trained body. It's the first time I've seen his dark hair styled slicked back.

All the moving bodies in the room blur into swirling colors and lights under his wide-eyed stare. Real warmth grows in my smile.

I catch a glimpse of the woman at his side. The lovely as ever, Lily Collins. Her expression is regal but neutral. I can't tell if Skyler has told her anything yet. A fluttering of anticipation rises in my gut.