Wattpad Original
There are 2 more free parts

Ch. 16: Mitch

Pacing the green room of Late Up Tonight with Dave Calloway, I rehearse answers to myself.

This interview has been heavily researched. Becca and her team at the agency have scrutinized the host, show production, and the network for any connections back to Lily. Today's segment won't run for another two days because the agency has banned live shows going forward.

A list of qualified questions has also been formed. If Dave Calloway asks one question off list, Becca will have me tucked in the van back to the agency before anyone can blink. Even after the picture of Skyler dancing with Kate fell flat, we're on high alert.

The news didn't create any impact, but the pictures sent to my phone from a blocked number sure did. They came through last night: Skyler and Kate kissing, Kate touching Skyler's face, and the two sitting together alone.

If we were in a real relationship, I would fling those pictures in Skyler's face. I'd demand to know how he could be so casual with an ex when he has me.

Rolling my eyes at myself, I steer clear of that thought. The two of us are still teetering on the edge of friends with benefits. Skyler will find me as controlling as his mother if I come at him in a rage.

It's better to play it cool. I held back the jealous nonsense bubbling inside of me last night. Although, I might have overplayed it and been a little too sharp.

Skyler ignored me the rest of the night and spent his time focused on work. He left exactly three hours after he arrived. It was a waste of alone time with him.

The door of the green room opens, and I turn with a smile, expecting one of the production assistants. Instead, Becca is scuttling in, shoving the door close behind her.

"Is it time?" I ask; otherwise, she'd already be out with the show's crew. Then I see the frown on her face. "What's the matter?"

"You know how Dave Calloway has a separate set of risers for fans of the show's guests?"

"Yeah, the Fan Stand." I've been on the show before, and the line of my fans wanting to be in those seats circled the block. "Wait, did a fight break out? Was there some sort of brawl for seats?"

"There's ten."

"Ten fights-"

"Ten fans."

I blink at her. "That's it?"

Becca clasps and unclasps her hands nervously. "Look, I'm going to ask the camera operator to zoom in on the seats that are filled. Plus, these are loyal fans; they have matching tee shirts and everything."

"Is it possible to lose my fans this quickly?" So many sent gifts after hearing about my fall, though. Oh, no, those were parting gifts?

"That's probably not it. It's just been a rough week to be WILDER."

"Tell me about it. Still, only ten..."

Stepping closer, Becca gives me a small hug. "Don't stress over this minor setback. I just wanted you to be prepared."

I nod slowly, mulling it over.

"Come on, they should be ready for you."

Following Becca through the studio halls, there isn't time to focus on this new issue. Already mic'd, I join the sound set to the show's loud and bouncing theme music and the applause of the live audience.

It takes a lot of effort, but I only skim my eyes over the empty rows of the special stands, glad I received a heads-up. I smile and wave at the fans sitting in the first two rows. The bright yellow of their shirts makes for a bright, eye-catching group.