Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Ch. 10: Mitch

"Mitch, where's your new boyfriend?" One of the many photographers yells across the barrier of the red carpet.

"He's inside, waiting for me." I smile and pose. This event is well known for photo ops. I keep moving along the short walkway into the Barrio Valiente Arts Center.

Tonight's gala will benefit multicultural education programs across the country. It is one of the many events on the list Skyler gave me. His mother is active in each one in some way: event planner, member, chairwoman, hostess, etc. The woman does it all.

Becca promised to change my schedule in the future, but today, I was already committed to stunt training for my new role. So now, I am meeting Skyler almost two hours after the start of the event.

The lobby is already filled with partying guests. The brightly lit entrance winds down into a large reception hall. Lily waits like a spider on its web near the top of the wide staircase.

Her hair is coiled into a simple knot, suiting her off-the-shoulder gown in a vibrant emerald green. Anticipating this all day, I've been trying to imagine her face when she sees me tonight. The lack of surprise disappoints me.

"Lily, good evening." I join her, looking out over the crush of people below. Our facades of polite friendliness are already in place.

"If you're not going to show up on time, I wonder why you bother dating Skyler at all."

My mouth turns up. Lily doesn't want to hear why I want to date Skyler. "Oh, no, did I miss one of your fun little surprises?"

"I don't know what you mean," Lily sniffs. "Don't feel the need to linger. I'm not waiting for you."

She searches down on the dance floor, pausing, her smile widening. Tilting her head in one specific direction, she looks at me pointedly. "It looks like Skyler isn't waiting for you either."

Eyeing her, I hesitate. Taking a deep breath as subtly as possible, I hold my composure and turn my head to look down. Following her direction, it's easy to find Skyler on the dance floor. Tall, broad-shouldered, and wiggling his hips awkwardly.

And dancing with another man.

Someone tall and fit with short, blonde hair, not anyone I recognize. The other man leans up to say something in Skyler's ear. In response, Skyler puts his hand on the man's back and moves him closer.

Other than my eyes narrowing, I keep calm. Turning casually back to Lily, I give her a flippant response. "Then I'll have to go convince Skyler to give me some of his time." Nodding a curt farewell, I blend into the traffic of people heading down the stairs.

Dropping my fake expression, I watch Skyler's location in the room. He knew I was going to be late. I know he's eager to be with a man, but there's a lot at stake. And I'm worth waiting for.

I brush my hand through my hair, tousling the carefully styled look. At the bottom of the stairs, I step aside and unbutton the top two buttons of my silk shirt. Then, one more, just to be sure. I tug at the fabric on my shoulders, pulling it outward and exposing my chest and abs more.

The noise is louder down here, the party in full swing. Moving quickly through the crowd is a struggle, but I stay locked on target. Some guests try to greet me, acquaintances mostly. I respond to them accordingly but keep moving.

"Mitch!"

I clench my jaw but turn around with a pleasant expression to another person calling my name. Skyler's brother is pushing through towards me. He wears a slim-fitting tux and holds a drink in each hand.

"Hey, you made it!" He yells above the thumping music. He thrusts one of the glasses into my hands. "This is Skyler's. Do you want to take it to him?"

"You've been with Skyler?" I swivel and look again, spotting Skyler and that man through a break in the dancers.