Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Ch. 8: Skyler

I'm late and definitely overdid it at the gym this morning. The lecture hall is already filling up with students when I arrive. I make my way, very slowly, to the table and podium at the front.

Unsettled thoughts about Mother and Mitchel kept me from delving deep into my work last night once Mitchel and his manager left. That was followed up by a restless night, laying awake and thinking about spellbinding eyes, a wide smile and an offer to continue.

I got up early, drained a pot of coffee and went to hit the weights at the gym. My neck kept snapping around every time someone left the men's locker room. I saw I was late right after realizing Mitchel probably wouldn't be coming into the gym because he said he had an interview.

My muscles were only a little sore at that point. After sitting in the car during the drive over, I had started to ache. Now, after walking the long path from my parking space to my office and finally here, I just want to lay down.

I set my bag down on the table, leaning on the flat surface to inwardly groan the pain away. Students are still filing through the door. As they enter, their boisterous conversations all die down to hushed whispers. They all look at me before glancing away.

The squeak of tablet arms falling into place stand out among the unusually low-pitched conversations. When I look around though, they stop. Many of my student's eyes are watching, maybe even more now than when I am lecturing.

My TA enters, slowing to a stop to give me the same bizarre look everyone else does before approaching. I pull out today's materials to have her connect to the smart TV. "Good morning, Fern, here are the slides for today."

"Good morning," Fern takes the USB but stands there, hesitating. "Um, I wanted to thank you again for helping our study group. I know you usually aren't available outside of your office hours."

Fern had been the student who came knocking the other day at the library. When Mitchel had sat disheveled and aroused in front of me, tasting like an exotic dessert. At least he had been able to sneak out undetected.

"Professor?" The TA is still standing there. I steal a glance at the clock on the wall past her. "Actually, there was something else I wanted to ask because I saw–"

"I'm sorry, you'll need to ask later, please get the slides going. I need to start now."

Leaving her to the task, I try not to limp on my way over to the door, closing it to signal the start of class. Trudging back to the podium I wish I had a chair today.

With the glow of the smart screen behind me, I tap the keypad on the podium and begin. "Last week, we talked about the Utian civilization and its development of urbanism. Now, if you've done the assigned reading, it leads right into —Yes?"

There are over a dozen hands raised among the students. "Are you having trouble hearing me?"

"That's not it, professor." One student sits forward, one of the third year history majors. "We all want to know if it's true?"

I look back at the slide on irrigation in the Sacramento Delta then back to the hall. "What part are you unsure of? Because the large-scale irrigation definitely-"

"Are you really dating Mitch Wild?" A different student yells from somewhere in the back.

"Oh." I probably would have understood right away if I wasn't so tired. I do indeed have more attention from the class than ever before. The one little post was effective.

The inquisitive faces bore through me. "I-um, I don't really think now is the time-"

"Are you really rich?" Another student calls out.