Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

Ch. 9: Mitch

"He's late," Becca murmurs, forcing the words around her artificial smile. A small kid sits in her lap, clapping along with the music. Several small bodies clamber over me while sitting cross-leg beside Becca on the floor. The volunteer DJ plays a lively rendition of "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes."

Around us, the hospital's cafeteria has been transformed for this children's event. Half the tables have been turned into arts and crafts stations where nurses, parents, and volunteers help guide kids of all ages and abilities. Cafeteria workers are starting to set up brunch for everyone.

"We didn't give him a lot of notice," I grin back at her. My eyes drift over to the far wall, and the row of photographers lined up against it. Reporters were invited to record the event but asked not to interfere with the child participants.

The fun already started a little while ago. The pediatric patients and their families have all been invited to join today, with activities planned into the afternoon. After food is served, a small ceremony is scheduled with the hospital's chairpersons as they thank some of the more generous donors.

And that includes me, as of yesterday. It's good publicity no matter what, but I need the punch that having Skyler beside me will give.

Becca elbows me with a nod to the double doors. A tall figure clutching an armful of bouquets is standing awkwardly just inside. Those muscular arms wrapped around the colorful flowers and cellophane are unmistakable.

I stand and untangle myself from the little dancers. As I walk to greet Skyler, a line of people starts to file in, each with an armful of bright and colorful arrangements. A volunteer quickly intercepts them and guides them to one of the tables.

"Wow, these look great." Reaching Skyler, I take half his bundles. "Let me help."

Behind the flowers, Skyler is dressed sharper than usual, with a matching suit jacket and cleanly knotted tie. His crisp look is jarred by the circles under his eyes.

"I'm sorry for getting here a little late." Skyler tilts his head down to me to be heard over the room's noise. He takes in the chaos as he tugs at his shirt collar. "Did I miss anything?"

"No worries. I'm sorry that I'm taking you away from work today."

Skyler shrugs my concern off nervously. "My TA can handle the morning, but I have to return for the afternoon."

"Well, I appreciate you being here, and you did a great job with the flowers."

"That's because of Eric, my brother." Skyler scans the others, pointing to the last man to enter. Wearing a stylish and expensive suit, the man saunters over, carrying a small bouquet. There is somewhat of a resemblance to Skyler but with a more petite, slender frame.

"Hi," I hold my hand out as he joins us. "Mitch Wild. Thank you for helping."

"Eric Collins. It's a pleasure to finally meet you." He shakes my hand, and pulls a pink carnation out of the flowers he carries and holds it out to me. "You've been creating a lot of excitement in my family."

I raise my hand, but Skyler beats me to it, plucking the flower from his brother's hand. Skyler shifts the rest of his flowers into Eric's arm before sticking the carnation back in randomly. "Go. Take these and be useful."

"Fine, put me to work. I'll see you around," Eric obediently takes his leave.

"Sorry, I was with my brother when Becca called, and he kind of took over." Skyler lowers his voice and whispers. "He's happy to help, not just this but with the plan."

"Good to know," I whisper back.

"What's with all the flowers anyway?" Skyler asks.

"Some kids will get to take them around to patients' rooms later. Becca volunteered you because she thought it would look better if you participated instead of just being here with me."