Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Ch. 18: Mitch

The Collins Downtown Hotel and Convention Center provides space for events year-round. Its large auditorium hosts performances, scientific lectures, medical conferences, the state spelling bee, and now, a trivia contest about me.

Skyler is trying to look out from behind the drawn curtain among the bustling backstage.

I pull him back. "Don't get seen yet." With practiced hands, I smooth out and straighten the shoulders of his jacket.

Today, my stylists had full rein over Skyler, creating a look different from his usual. Even though Lily has taste, an outfit picked by your mother will always be just that.

Today, his suit has a fitted, modern look. His hair is in a new style. I chose his tie personally, and he looks damn good.

"How are you feeling?" I ask him, eyeing him carefully. Skyler's face is a shade pale under the backstage lights.

He shakes his head from side to side. "I'm good," he replies.

Squeezing his shoulder, I catch his gaze. "It's going to be fine." As long as he succeeds. Otherwise, my fans will be protesting. Or ditching me altogether.

I know Becca sent him the remaining answers, but I don't know how far Skyler got in studying. At least the 'Beau questions' were about the actor, not my relationship with him. I wasn't going to, or even could, hide who my ex-boyfriend was. I just got tired of questions about Beau and me long ago.

Yesterday, I followed Skyler's command to focus on my own work and get some rest. My little meltdown the other day helped with some of my frustration. Talking it out with Skyler and all he did for me made me feel we were back on the same side in this agreement.

Still...Skyler has to be the one doing all the work now.

"It's going to be fine." He repeats mechanically, his face a frown.

"It's almost time." Becca sweeps over to us. She hands me a microphone and adjusts my clothes like I did to Skyler. "Wish him luck and get up there."

'Up there' is the top of a rolling staircase, disappearing through the curtains. Like something out of Romeo and Juliet, a faux balcony is staged above the set. Skyler will sit below like a defendant on the witness stand. All the fans in the audience can see me and look down on Skyler simultaneously.

Becca prepares to enter the stage as the MC as I take Skyler's cold yet clammy hand in mine. "Don't panic. We'll get through this."

His only response is a tight nod, his panicking eyes glued to the curtain he'll be introduced through.

If we were alone, I could do more than wish him luck. I say the words, but I can't be sure he heard me. Squeezing his hand one last time, I make my way up the shallow metal steps and await my entrance.

Nervously checking down, I catch Eric striding through the tech crew and staff to wait with Skyler. Having the hotel's CEO help oversee the contest prep has streamlined this entire day. I can't hear what the two talk about as the applause starts on the other side of the curtain.

Becca's voice rings out. "Welcome to all the WILDERS in the seats today-"

A cacophony of cheers interrupts. Becca continues after the applause.

-for this very special trivia contest. And without further ado, our favorite actor, Mitch Wild."

I step out and wave to my fans, several spotlights shining into my face. The seats are packed behind the cameras positioned at the edge of the stage. Off to the side, next to a wall covered in promos for Resolute Detective, a line of WILDERS wait to question Skyler.

icon lock

Show your support for chronicimmunity, and continue reading this story

by chronicimmunity
@chronicimmunity
Season 1 of The Scholar and the Star Professor Skyler Collins is des...
Unlock a new story part. Your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.
See how Coins support your favorite writers like @chronicimmunity.