Friends

Sunday - Dining in Space

"So you're saying that you two got back together?"

"Yeah. We're officially together again. Isn't it funny how she only realized that four months after the break up?" said Heeseung, scooping food into his mouth.

Karina set down the glass of mango juice on the table. "Maybe she just got confused? At least the breakup had made her realize how much you mean to her, right?"

"Honestly, she panicked a little after she found out from my dad that I was going out with you." Heeseung chuckled.

"Really? Should I start hiding now?" asked Karina, laughing.

"Haha, don't worry. She doesn't kill, but yeah, she tortures."

"Ooh, scary..." Karina pretends to shudder, making Heeseung laugh again.

"But seriously, though, I'm happy for you."

Well, thank you," said Heeseung, bowing slightly. "But you know what, I realized something just now. The breakup was hard for me, yes, but I just thought that I should be happy it happened, right?"

"And why?"

"Well, if Sumin didn't break up with me before I don't think we'll get closer," said Heeseung seriously. "Being friends with you is a break up retribution. I'm glad it happened."

Karina gave him a warm smile. Although a lot of things has been troubling her lately, she can't deny that Heeseung is one of those few people who gives her joy from time to time. "I'm thankful to have you as a friend too."

Heeseung smiled at her and went back to eating his food. After few seconds of silence, he spoke again. "How about you, how's he?"

Karina was glad that she didn't choke on her food because that question had surely struck her bull's eye. The truth is, she's not okay. She never got the chance to talk to Winter until Friday because Yunjin was the one who drove her and picked her up in the office. Karina didn't even bother to ask Winter out over the weekend because she remembered how Yunjin told Giselle, when they all got together in the elevator, about her weekend plans with Winter.

Karina isn't sure how it happened. Suddenly, she felt like she doesn't exist in winter's world anymore, and it's killing her. She was glad that Heeseung asked her out today because she was just gloomy all day in her room.

"It's hopeless, Heeseung.." said Karina, absently tapping the tip of her fork on her plate.

"Hmm? How come? What happened?"

"Everything is just too complicated now, more complicated than you can imagine."

"I don't mean to intervene but I think I know what your real problem is," said Heeseung, pausing a little while waiting for Karina to look up to him, "it's that Winter, right?"

"H-how --"

"Well, anyone can notice the closeness, yeah; but only the keen ones can tell that there is something going on between the two of you."

"Oh.." Karina looked down, feeling shy.

"She's the one you're with in Gampo, right?" asked Heeseung, getting a nod from Karina. "She's the one you were talking to in café that Friday night too, right?"

Karina nodded again. "I'm sorry. I was afraid to tell it to you because I thought you won't accept it."

"Why won't I accept it? I was just waiting for you to tell it to me," said Heeseung sincerely. "And why are you keeping everything bottled up until now? Do you want to make yourself go crazy?"