Chapter 1

"God I hate you", I grumbled throwing the empty gum wrapper that Ayla handed me as a joke.

She laughed and dodged as Anika and Leia walked into the cafeteria and up.

"Hi!", Anika practically yelled.

She greets us in a very enthusiastic way as if she hasn't seen us in a year. Even though I saw her just fifteen minutes ago.

"Hey", we greeted back as she and Leia sat down with us.

●●●●●●●

We walked around the school since we finished eating along with Blair, Lana, and Kalena who just joined us. As we were walking I saw a staircase that I hadn't seen.

"Guys have you ever seen this staircase?", I asked pointing up.

"Isn't it closed off?", Lana leaned forward taking a look at the gate blocking it off.

"It is", Blair replied, "It has been for quite some time".

As we turned around to walk away we heard a key turn in the lock of that door and we all whirled around to see.

The door swung open, and two guys were standing behind it, one of them holding the key and the other a packet of cigarettes.

And those two guys are people we know. Miles and Aven. Aven's in my class and Miles in the class next to ours.

"How do you have the keys to the stairs", Kalena asked and they both glanced down and the keys Miles was holding.

"Not important", he said before closing the door once Aven came down too.

"It is", she spoke, "It's not like we're allowed in here, that's why it's locked".

"What does it matter", Aven rolled his eyes as the two of them walked away.

"It's just-", I cut Kalena off.

"It doesn't matter to us what they do", I quickly said.

I looked at them and made eye contact with Aven who was glancing back before I turned back to Kalena, "Jeez you didn't have to".

"But it's wrong!".

"Guys", Blair spoke, "The bell's about to ring, let's go".

●●●●●●●●

The last class just ended and everyone was packing up when the bell rang. But along with the bell, there was an announcement, "Good afternoon, this is your country's president".

"What the hell", I heard murmurs around the room.

"You students have seen the state of the country and world, pollution and things. And the very obvious reason for this is overpopulation so we have come up with a solution for it which all world leaders had agreed to", he paused. 

"What are they gonna do to stop overpopulation?", Aven spoke even though no one else did, "Give people condoms". 

I couldn't help smiling a little. But then the announcement continued. 

"So this new way is actually a game. We call it 30 days left. Since the game ends 30 days after today", he paused again.

"30 days left", I  said it out loud. 

It felt weird to say as if we were all gonna die in 30 days.

"What kinda game would that be?", Lana thought out loud.

Then the announcement continued, "The game rules are simple. Don't kill anyone in your class. No one is allowed to protect a student from another class. If the needed amount of students aren't killed the government will decide on who to kill. The class in each grade that has the least amount of students left from each grade would be eliminated. All students who get eliminated will be killed. The killing time would be from 6.00 am to 6.00 pm.  After 6.00 pm no student is allowed to harm another and has to continue their life in a normal manner. No student is allowed to leave the school for 30 days". 

"What the hell!", people started yelling and panicking.

"No way", Leia spoke, "There must've been some kind of a mistake".

Anika and Lana ran up to the teacher.

"Ms. Lindsey", Anika spoke even though she was terrified, "It's not true right?".

Ms Lindsey ignored them and cleared her throat, "Students you all should now go to the auditorium".

"So it's real!", a guy yelled.

"It's real", she said before walking out of the class.