Chapter 6

Aven P.O.V

I sat down on a chair, my head in my hands. I didn't mean to hurt San so much but I was mad. Mad at everyone and this stupid game we are supposed to play. I was aware that I wrongly took my anger out on San.

A soldier appeared at the door, "What are you doing here?!", he yelled before noticing San on the ground.

"He's breathing", I spoke standing up and grabbing my gun.

Miles followed me out and the two of us went to our staircase. He opened the door and sat down on a step and I did the same next to him.

"What are we gonna do?", he asked.

"Let's just stay here", I set my gun down and stared blankly at the door.

"It'll be cowardly", Miles stood up, "We're going out".

Raelynn's P.O.V

I lost Lana in the crowd, I was alone. I was standing near the library and I heard footsteps. Without a second thought, I ducked into the library and ran to hide behind a bookshelf. The door opened and there stood a girl.

I knew her. She hated me for some reason I don't know. Divya.

"I'm done", I sighed crouching so she couldn't see me

She walked with her gun held up and I got mine ready, just in case too. She walked past me and right at the moment I felt safe she turned around. I gripped the gun harder and crouched lower.

"Someone's there", she was talking to herself.

I pushed to books aside to make a small gap. Barely enough for her to notice and adjusted my gun so it was pointing at her from behind the gap.

I moved the gun slightly and I regretted it immediately. The slight movement made a book fall. Divya spun around and aimed her gun at me.

I shot at her before she could. I stood up and ran out the door not even sparing a glance at her. The glass door closed behind me. Bullets flew through the door missing me by inches as I dropped to the ground.

She ran out of the library towards me. I noticed that the bullet had hit her arm and she was struggling to hold the gun. She dropped it and pulled out the knife. I scrambled to get up and to aim my gun at her.

"You can't even shoot", I said.

But she held on to the knife tightly while breathing heavily because of the bullet wound, "I won't let you go".

I didn't expect her to throw the knife at me. It hit me right below my left shoulder and I gasped from the shock and pain. The knife fell to the ground. It hadn't gone in too deep so the wound wasn't deep.

I pressed my hand against it and ran. I ran down the stairs and bumped into Kent.

"Raelynn you ok?", he asked stopping himself.

I nodded my head and he noticed the wound. He looked around us, almost everyone was downstairs and we were standing on the first floor.

I heard more gunshots and the sound of the footsteps of someone climbing the stairs.

"Run!", Kent pushed me slightly and ran up the stairs.

I ran into one of the 3rd-grade classrooms and crouched down at the back of the classroom behind a desk. I found a rag on the floor I pressed against the wound to stop the bleeding. The footsteps got louder and a guy entered the class. I tried to get a better look at him to see if I recognized the person. I didn't. He looked older though.

"God", he sat down on a chair and wiped his mouth.

I spotted the blood on his lips as he slumped down. He breathed heavily placing his gun down on a desk. I moved backward and accidentally knocked onto a bookshelf.

"Shit", I cursed looking in the direction of the guy.

He stood up startled and looked around, "Who's there?", he asked, his voice shaky.

Should I stand up? Or should I remain hidden? But even if I hide, if he walks over here, he'll see me anyway.

But yet I continued to stay hidden. He started walking over in my direction. I tried to crouch lower but within seconds he was standing above me.

I looked up holding onto my gun tightly. That's when he realized that he had left his gun at the opposite end of the classroom. He pulled out his Pistol and held it above my head.

I quickly grabbed my knife and dug it into his leg. He yelled kicking at me, dropping the pistol. I managed to dig the knife in deeper before pulling it out again. He fell to the ground and I stood up.

The guy grabbed the pistol and shot at me. It missed me by inches. He couldn't get up, I was sure of that. I ran out of the room slamming the door behind me. I was breathing heavily by the time I was out.

In the hallway I was standing in, there was nobody. I ran down the stairs stumbling down some steps till I reached the ground floor.

It was absolute chaos there but I needed to get to the staircase. There is nowhere else where it'll be safe. But the staircase was on the other side of the school. I gripped my gun tighter in my blood-stained hand and ran.