Chapter 12

The next morning

It was 7.00 am and we were all at the cafeteria. Blair was crying and the rest of us looked stressed. Not just us, pretty much everyone here did.

"Eat something at least", Leia offered but that only made Blair cry harder and cause Kalena to glare at her.

●●●●●

We had five minutes more until it was time. As everyone gathered on the basketball court we saw the four classes. 9 A, 10 F, 11 D, and 12 E. They were standing at one end with the soldiers, and the rest of us crowded on the other side.

I stood next to Kalena who was in tears, I sighed seeing her cry harder, and wrapped my arms around her.

"Before we begin", Lieutenant Lance spoke, "There's another addition to this. Anika, Raelynn, Miles, and Aven when I call you'll come up here".

I looked at Anika and she shrugged. Aven who was a few meters away from me mouthed at me saying that he didn't know why. Miles moved closer to us and said something to Anika.

"He said that he and Aven are both friends with one of the 11th graders who they are killing. And since Aven's closer to him, that's why he's not talking much", she repeated what Miles said to her.

I nodded, "I get it".

They started with the 12th graders. They had to kneel on the court, their hands behind their back. There were only five of them. Lieutenant Lance moved up to the first guy who had his eyes opened but it was obvious that he was fighting back tears.

He placed the gun behind the guy and aimed at him. The gunshot sounded as his eyes went blank and he fell face-first onto the ground with blood pooling out of his head.

When they got to the 11th graders, Lieutenant Lance called Aven and Miles up front and handed them both guns.

"Since you couldn't follow the simple rules we have implemented here, this is what you get".

Aven took the gun but looked confused, "What now?", he asked.

Lieutenant Lance pointed at the guy Aven knew, "You'll have to shoot him".

"What the hell!", Aven yelled dropping the gun in shock.

My eyes widened and I heard a few gasps and saw Miles grab Aven's arm to stop him from doing anything stupid. Because the look on his face was a mixture of terror and anger.

I looked at the person who he was told to kill. The guy was looking at Aven with wide eyes and visible terror on his face.

"Raelynn", Anika nudged me and whispered, "If Aven has to do that to his friend, then us....".

I realized what she meant and it was my turn to gasp. No way will he make us shoot Blair.

"I told you", Lieutenant Lance continued, "We take things seriously".

He gestured at Aven to pick up the gun, but he shook his head, "I can't".

It was the first time I've ever seen Aven so scared. Throughout everything we had to go through, he put on a brave face, which barely slipped. But now, he was scared.

He bent down picked it up with shaking hands and walked forward toward his friend. He was trembling as he pointed the gun toward the guy's head.

The guy said something to Aven in a lowered voice. Aven's eyes snapped open and he seemed as if he woke up from a trance. He nodded and readjusted the gun in his hands.

"Shoot", Lieutenant Lance commanded.

Aven nodded but instead of shooting the guy he aimed the gun at the sky and fired. It caused panic throughout the crowd with people covering their ears from the shock.

Aven dropped the gun and his friend stood up along with the guy Miles was supposed to shoot. Then the four of them, Aven, Miles, and their two friends ran.

They ran into the crowd pushing and shoving people aside.

"Blair!", I yelled fighting my way through the crowd, trying to reach her.

I saw Kalena grab Blair and the two of them ran in the opposite direction. Leia grabbed my arm and pulled me away.

"Let's go", she pulled me through to the direction in which Miles and Aven ran to. 

Running to the side of the cafeteria, we knocked on the door closing the stairs case Miles and Aven normally hang out in.

"Aven!", I yelled, "Miles, open the door!".

There was no answer.

"We can't stay here, they'll catch us!", Anika dragged me away.

We ran up the main stairs. People were running in every direction, I kept an eye out for Lieutenant Lance or Private Ewan but they were nowhere to be seen.

"Where to now?", Anika asked as we slowed down and reached the 4th floor.

"Rooftop", I replied, "They might be there".

As I spoke, I saw someone running up the stairs, "Blair!", I called out.

She saw us and rushed over, "Did you see Kalena?", she asked.

"No", I replied, "But she'll be fine, it's you who's in danger".

"And by the looks of, us too now", Anika replied glancing behind her and making sure there was no one.

"Come on", I told Kalena, "Rooftop".

We climbed up the next two floors to the rooftop but the door was locked.

"We gotta break this", Anika replied touching the lock.

But as she spoke the door swung open and we saw Miles standing on the other side with Aven and the two other guys sitting on the ground a few feet behind him.

"Hurry and get in", he opened the door wide.

The three of us stepped inside and Miles closed the door once again.

"Are you'll ok?", I asked.

Aven nodded, "For now".

I looked at the two guys and the taller one spoke, "I'm Warren and he's Yuki", he pointed at the other guy.

"Did anyone see you on your way here?",  Aven asked as I sat down on the ground.

"I don't think so", I replied, "It was pretty empty on the upper floors".

Aven nodded and he seemed to relax slightly, but it didn't last long as we heard someone trying to open the door.

Yuki

Warren

Warren