Chapter 20

“Baron Bashiron has been ambushed, Miss.”

Maya’s words, heard as soon as I woke, brought me back to yesterday’s events.

The Afinizu had been held, and I had been nearly attacked by Bashiron, the uncle of Recardo.

Just as I was beginning to wonder if Recardo, with whom he seemed conflicted to begin with, was responsible, Maya added an explanation.

“They say it involves orphans from the Rosento underworld, which is a shame. He’s got poisoned arrows in both legs and won’t be able to walk much longer.”

The note of shame in this was that he’d been attacked by a bunch of orphans.

To be weak in the Winchester family is a disgrace.

But I couldn’t help but think of something at the mention of Rosento’s orphans.

The Winchesters, as sons of a villainous family, ruled the underworld from an early age, and by the time the story really gets going, Rosento’s underworld was all under their control.

If the first contact between Jin, Othello and Rosento’s underworld was earlier than in the book…….

‘No way…… I think it’s too far-fetched. There’s no reason for that.’

I shook my head at the thought, wondering if it was because of my near-death experience with Bashiron.

Even though Jin and Othello were becoming quite close to me, unlike in the original, the brothers were still far from the type of people who would empathize or sympathize with another person.

“Milk.”

“Milk? Just a minute.”

Maya went to heat the milk, and I stared out through the blue window.

Then I reached out my hand.

My arms were still chubby and short, and my hands were still fluffy and cute.

‘When will I grow up…… it’s frustrating.’

I was already two years old.

But I still walked like a baby, and my first words seemed a long way off…….

(E/N: Developmental milestones in English dictate that babies should be speaking single words before reaching one year old. Because of how Koreans count birthdays (you’re considered “one” the year that you are born, and turn two on your first anniversary of being born), this baby might actually be closer to having lived about one year. But she already had emerging teeth for her chai berries? Questioning it makes my brain hurt so I just won’t.)

It was quite hard to live in a baby’s body with a grown-up mind.

The good news is that I sleep a lot; I spend half of the day asleep.

It’s just a matter of waking up a few times and the day goes by, so time flies.

Still, I can’t wait to…… grow up and have a little more freedom.

There are so many things I want to explore.

“Miss, here’s some milk.”

Maya handed me the heated milk and spoke.

“Would you like to wait with the newly assigned maids? There’s the matter of Robin’s assignment, and I think I need to see the butler to get an explanation of the budget allocated to the young miss.”

At the mention of Robin, I remembered what Recardo had said yesterday about assigning me a knight.

I nodded, and Maya chuckled.