Chapter 37

“The testimonies state that it’s difficult for Akada to intervene due to the worsening public opinion about Kaisa…”

At the adjutant’s words, Chenoa threw his silver goblet. The cup struck the adjutant’s shoulder and clattered to the floor with a loud clatter.

The red wine within splattered like blood.

“Kaisa! Kaisa! Damn Kaisa! If it weren’t for that damn hunting competition!”

Chenoa’s blue eyes burned with rage.

It was only after the hunting tournament that the two families that had been supportive of the Taylors had become wary.

Word of the resurrection of Kaisa’s Curse had spread across the empire, and all arrows were pointed at the Taylor family, not the damned Winchesters.

They even publicly denounced the spies they had sent, but the other families did nothing to help.

They were completely marginalized.

It would probably take a considerable amount of time for other families to withdraw their suspicions.

“To resume our business and political activities as before, it seems there’s no choice but to accept Winchester’s conditions.”

The Winchesters had the audacity to demand a hostage in exchange for a peace deal.

The other families argued that this was unreasonable, but considering the resurrection of Kaisa’s Curse, it was necessary to consider the consequences.

They wanted to keep the Taylors in check by using the Winchesters.

“……damn it.”

Chenoa Taylors had only two children.

Evan Taylors, his intended heir. And a newborn baby boy from his concubine.

It was clear that Evan Taylors lacked any significant abilities, judging by his failure to manifest Clearlight yet.

“Young Master is clever. Perhaps he can discover Winchester’s weaknesses while he’s a hostage.”

At the adjutant’s words, Chenoa raised an eyebrow.

He had no qualms about sending the weakling on his way, but this was a matter of pride. Nothing like this had ever happened in the history of Taylors.

“That would be if I could trust Evan.”

“…… Certainly, the young master is a man of few words, and he doesn’t wear his heart on his sleeve.”

When Evan looked at him, Chenoa sometimes felt a chill.

Yes, he knew that Evan, born as the heir to the Taylors, would not be able to control his own fate, but it was a strangely ominous feeling.

So, he wasn’t entirely convinced that sending him as a hostage would fulfill his role.

“I will focus on his education considering the concerns of the duke. We’ll also buy some time.”

Chenoa spoke with an unsatisfied expression, “Well, time. I suppose we need time for preparations. And…,” Chenoa paused. “Thoroughly investigate the third child of the Duke of Winchester.”

Chenoa recalled the video he had seen at the hunting competition’s ball.

“If it’s the third, Sasha Winchester…… that little girl?”

“That’s no ordinary little girl.”

A mere baby, about three years old, fending off a man under the Kaisa’s Curse.