Chapter 21

Upon entering the <Square>, Evan Taylor paused for a moment.

A slightly crooked chair caught his eye.

This was his space, built with special artifacts, and no one else was allowed to enter.

He straightened the chair nonchalantly and picked up the desk clock that sat on the dresser.

It displayed the time by year, month, day, and hour.

Evan tiredly fiddled with it, set it back, and sat down on the couch.

Right now, the Taylor family was facing an unexpected threat.

‘Public opinion in the Empire is not favorable. Sending an emissary to apologize would be…….’

Chenoa Taylors sent his well-spoken lieutenant to prison.

‘There’s a message that they’re going to demand a hostage. You need to start preparing.’

It was a situation Evan had never been in before, and he was curious to see what happened next.

The odds were always in Taylors’ favor, but this time it was strangely different.

Due to internal issues, Recardo Winchester even removed the Afinizu.

Winchester had come close to winning in the past, but the Afinizu had always been there to hold them back.

To get rid of it so quickly is incredible…….

“…….”

Evan leaned his head back and closed his eyes.

The exhaustion was wearing away at his mind.

These days, even the briefest glimmer of hope felt meaningless.

Whether or not he received a manifestation, Chenoa would gnaw at him. The position would be his, regardless of his free will.

If the outcome is the same no matter what the process, then…….

“…….”

He opened his eyes after a moment, listening to the tick, tick, tick of the clock.

Then he stood up to go back.

The next thing he saw was the book on his desk, open and torn.

Evan’s brow furrowed.

He’d overlooked the slight crookedness of the chair, but this was unmistakable evidence of an intrusion.

This was a place where no one was supposed to be, except for him.

“Ha…….”

A low sound escaped his lips at the succession of variables that had never happened before.

* * *

“How…… did you even get here?”

Othello turned to me.

I stared at him in surprise, as taken aback as he was.

Then he bent down and locked eyes with me.

“Are you here alone? Where’s Maya?”

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out.

When I stopped staring in amazement, Othello raised his eyebrows in a vague understanding.

“I don’t know how she looks after you, but here you are, wandering around alone. I’m going to have to tell her off.”

“…….”