Chapter 22

“Young Master!”

Maya, who had come running up behind us, dropped to her knees in front of Othello.

“Where have you been going to be coming back only now?” Othello questioned with a raised eyebrow.

“I had to go to the butler for a while about the budget allocation for the young lady, so I left her in the care of some poorly trained maids, for which I apologize.”

The maids shuddered and bowed; their faces ashen.

“…….”

Yes, well done, Maya.

The maids deserved to be punished, but I, a baby, didn’t have to watch a person die.

I ran to Maya and put my hand on her shoulder.

“Maya.”

Then I looked back at Othello.

That’s it, Othello. The story of <Taylor’s Home> was for all ages.

Judging by the trembling of the maids, that was enough of a life lesson for them.

Maya continued, “Bring the new maids and…… send those two to the north barn.”

At those words, the maids covered their mouths with muffled sobs.

The north barn, where they would dismember the monsters that had been hunted?

I had heard that it was where slaves, not free people like maids, who owed debts they couldn’t pay, were forced to work until they died.

Either way, you can imagine the conditions must be harsh.

“…….”

Othello’s energy, which had felt like he was about to strangle the maids, was gradually fading away.

After a while, he said to the maids.

“Consider yourself lucky to be alive.”

Somehow it sounded like he was threatening to kill them the next time he saw them.

Once he had cooled down, Maya stood up.

Maya turned and glared at them, and the two maids backed away and disappeared.

Othello stared at me for a long moment, then spoke for Maya to hear.

“For your information, I’m not mad at you because you’re a kid, so don’t get any ideas.”

I stood there, staring into those dark eyes. My eyes widened at the cold voice, and Othello averted his gaze.

He turned around quickly and added, “I just won’t stand by and watch the Winchesters be insulted by a maid.”

Maya kept her back to him until he disappeared down the corridor.

Behind him, the aura of the black flame still lingered.

* * *

“Miss…… I’m so glad you’re back safe and sound. It’s my fault for leaving you to those people, but you shouldn’t be wandering around like that either. It could have been dangerous.”

I avoided Maya’s gaze as she settled me on the bed and sighed.

Well, a mistake is a mistake.

“Are you hurt anywhere? Did you fall or something?”

Maya examined my knees and legs.

The delicate lace fluttered.

Then she brought a bowl of warm water and washed my hands and feet clean.