Chapter eight: A Long Day

Chapter eight

A Long Day

“And this is my room.” The general pushed open the door and stepped back. 

I entered and was taken back. This was not a room, it was a house. It was filled with fancy furniture made from a deep oak wood and warm red fabrics. I walked over to a couch and noticed the rock wall protruding from it’s surroundings. The slight scent of smoke filled the air around it.

“Is this your fire pit?” I walked over and stuck my head inside. “Does the smoke go up through that hole?”

The general grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back. “I’d prefer if you kept your head out of there.” He flicked a button, and a fire bursted up from the bottom. 

I stumbled back. This confirmed it, he was satan. Only satan had power over fire. “What kind of black magic is that?”

“I’ll explain it too you later.” Tobias walked over to the bed and throw himself on it. “I’m tried and don’t feel like teaching you anymore new words.” He rubbed his forehead.

I glared at him. He said that now but felt the need to corrected everything I did while we were eating. Didn’t help that while he was sitting with Charlie at the big table, and I was sent to one in the corner.

“You’ll be sleeping in there.” He pointed to the side door closest to the bed. “And like I said I’m tried.”

“Fine,” I muttered, walking to the door. “You only had to ask.” Opening it, I pocked my head inside. The room was barely big enough to hold a small bed and have a walkway along the side. It had a window though; I never had a view in the warehouse. Slipping inside, I closed the door. It was small, but nice. I like it.

The door opened. “Nearly forgot.” The general grabbed me and tossed me on the bed. He grabbed a chain hooked to the wall and locked it to the back of my collar. 

“What was that for!” I pushed him off me.

Tobias climbed off the bed. “I don’t need you running off in the middle of the night. Or trying anything else, for that matter. Good night, Reggy.”

“Raja!” I tugged on my collar, and glared at him as he left. He didn’t need to be so rough. I would have let him do it.

Taking off the skirt, I slipped under the covers. Warmth, I couldn’t help but smile. After spending so many sleepless nights on the hard ground, freezing, I felt a little happy that the general had brought me here. I curled up in a ball and tucked the end of the blankets around me. For once, I was going to have a good night sleep.

***

I woke to the sound of footsteps in the other room.

“You’re going to be late,” said a female voice clearly from the other side of the wall.

“I’m aware.” 

Something smashed on the floor, and I sat up. 

“Leave it,” breathed Nina. “I’ll have someone come and clean it up.”

“Thank you,” sighed the general. “See to him. I don’t think he’s awake.”

“With the racket your making, I’m betting he is.”

I heard a door close and movement outside. Pulling the covers closer to my face, I watched the door handle for movement. I didn’t want to get up. This house was filled with black magic, and I would prefer just staying inside my little room in my bed. The door did open, and Nina appeared.