Chapter twenty-seven Archery Practise

Archery Practise

I watched for the newly built dock, leading to our house as Tobias placed a couple support beams. A months work, and I had a floor and part of a roof. The general definitly wasn’t going the traditional root and I often caught people wandering down to the lake to take a peek.

“Raja.”

I looked over my shoulder to see Azuka coming down the boardwalk.

He stopped beside me and folded his arms. “Where’s the demon?”

I didn’t really want to tell him. Their fighting was starting to become a regular occurrence and getting on my nerves.

“Raja.”

With a sigh, I pointed to the far corner. “He’s tying down a support.”

He marched past me, and I was right behind him. Azuka stared down at Tobias who was shoulders deep in the water.

“Demon.”

The general raised an eyebrows. “What?” he snapped, lifting himself out of the water. 

“The elders want to see you.” Turning sharply, he stormed off. 

Tobias stood. “That’s the only man I’ve met that is constantly pissed.”

“Be nice.” I wrapped my arms around his waist. “All your fighting is wearing on me.” 

“Hey.” He cupped my cheek. “I’m sorry. I told you last week I was going to try and get along and I haven’t been doing a very good job. I’ll go see what the elders want and be decent with Azuka at the same time.”

I gave him a tired smile. “Kay.”

He kissed my forehead before putting his arm around me and leading me back to the village. I might have broken down the week before. Between being lecture by my family and Tobias being his usual self, I had a mini-melt down. He was trying to be better, but Azuka wasn’t helping either. 

We arrived at the center of the village to find the warriors standing around with my father waiting with his arms folded. Tobias grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. 

“You’ve lived by our laws,” said my father. “So the elders have decided that it’s time for you to contribute to the village.”

“As in?”

I nudged Tobias. His typical attitude was coming out. 

“Going on the hunt with the other warriors. Starting tomorrow,” stated my father.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” muttered Azuka.

My father held up a hand to silence him. The men were giving the general death stares. I guess none of them were too happy about it. 

“Is that all?” Tobias stood tall with his usual arrogance. 

My father nodded. 

“Good then,” he turned sharply holding tight to me. “See you tomorrow then.”

I glanced back at the gathering to see Azuka arguing with my father with the other huddled around. Even Zev stood at the back with his arms folded. This wasn’t going to be good. 

We went back to Tobias camp, and he went to dig through his bags. I sat down on a log next to the fire. The general was tromping in and out of the tent, gathering things as he went. The hilt of a gun glistened in the sunlight, and I jumped to my feet.