Chapter fourteen: Helix

Chapter fourteen

Helix

“Where are we going?” I asked, tugging on yet another chunky collar. It was a cool silver color with blue gems around the outside. It was already starting to make my shoulder hurt. 

“Business.” The general finished buttoning up his uniform jacket. 

The last business trip didn’t turn out to well. I sunk down and laid my head against the bedpost. It had been three weeks since my incident with the scissors. I hadn’t stepped outside the room since and Tobias had to some degree kept his hands to himself. 

“Do I have to go?”

“It’s a social affair.”

“What kind?” I could tell he was avoiding the topic. 

“You’ll figure it out when we get there.”

I climbed off the bed. “Why won’t you just tell me?” I knelt on the couch behind him. 

“I thought we were finally done with the questions.” He turned and pick up the end of the braid that wrapped behind my ear and flicked my nose with it.

Knocking his hand away, I glared at him. “If you’d just tell me things,” I muttered, scowling at the floor.

“Later,” he breathed. “Now go get dressed.”

I picked up the silver pleated skirt with a blue thread design. “Why can’t I wear normal clothes?” I said under my breath. “Everyone else gets to.”

“Stop whining. You’re not a child, and put it on.”

Glaring at him, I stepped into it. “You don’t have to wear a skirt all the time,” I muttered to myself.

“Reggy,” he turned to face me. “I said enough.”

“Raja,” I spat in a hushed voice. “It’s Raja.”

Folding his ears, he raised an eyebrows. “You want me to call you Raja then act like an adult and not a spoiled brat.”

“I’ve never acted like that,” I snapped. 

The general shook his head. “I really like to meant your parents. So I could see what kind of people raised such a whinny kid.”

Clenching my jaw, I plopped down on the couch. “Let me go home and you can.”

“Smart ass.” Tobias grabbed his hat off the table. “Come on, let’s go.”

I hurried after him and followed him downstairs to the car. Nina meant us outside. By the looks of it she had been over seeing some ground work and wanted to make sure I looked descent before we left. 

“Alright, shoulder back.” She pushed them back for me and lifted my chin. “You better behave this time. We had a near disaster last time.”

I nodded and glanced at the general. 

Nina grabbed my chin and brought my attention back to her. “Do as he says Raja. We don’t want a repeat do we?”

I shook my head and touched the shave section of my hair. “No.” I never wanted to see the general that mad again.

“Alright, alright,” Tobias grabbed my arm. “That’s enough primping him, just get in the car. We can’t be late to this one.” Opening the door, he put me inside.

Nina touched the general’s arm. “You did tell him where you’re going?”

“Later.” He waved the old woman off and got in the vehicle. Slamming the door behind him, he got comfortable.