Chapter eleven: Friends With God

Chapter eleven

Friends With God

Tobias opened the car door and I crawled inside. I sat down on the other side as the general got in to the vehicle. 

I glanced at the button panel. “Can I put it down?”

“Why?” 

The car started to move. 

“I won’t to see.”

“Just put it back up before we reach the city. I hate the smell.” The general pulled out one of those handheld devices and started tapping on the screen. 

Pressing the button, I watched the window disappear into the door. “Wow.” I knelt on the seat and leaned out a little. 

“Don’t stick your head out, Reggy,” muttered the general. 

I sat back and glanced over at him. “What is that?”

“So many questions.”

I crawled over and glanced over. “How do you use it?”

The general moved his arm out of the way, and I tumbled into his lap. He looked it around me, and I clambered to regain some composure. 

Tobias just laughed at me and clicked on different box. “Put your finger on the screen.”

I did as he said and dragged it across. A red line appeared. I snatched it from him and examined the entire device. “What kind of magic makes this work?” I slipped it to the back and tapped on the hard casing.

“Technology.” Tobias took it from me. “It takes years to master. You’d never be able to understand it.” He pressed a small blue box with a weird symbol. 

The device started to make weird noises. “Let me see it.” I reached for it.

“One rule.” Tobias held it away form me and lifted a finger. “You have to stay right here, because I don’t know what will happen if I let it get too far away from me. The magic might start to leak out.”

My eyes grew wide and I nodded. “What will happen if it starts leaking?”

He just smiled. “Don’t worry, I know a spell to trap it back inside.” The general situated me across his lap and let me have it back. He showed me how to play the game and explained what everything was called.

“What do you call it?” I asked as I pressed the different button like the general had shown me.

“A cell phone.”

“Wow,” I watched a little ship of some sort blow up when I shot it with what the general called a laser. 

The general chuckled to himself. “Yes, you will keep me very entertained.”

I just ignored him and concentrated on the little screen. We remained like that all the way to the city. I kept moving around but stayed close to the general. I now laid with my head on his leg, killing the aliens as the general played with my hair. 

“Die! Die!” I yelled. The wave of spacecrafts became to much for my little warrior, and he was shot down. “Arg! I lost again. This game is so hard. They always kill me at the spot.”

The general laughed before his noise scrunched up. “Well we reached the stench pit.” He took the fun from me. “Reggy, go roll the window up.”

I climbed onto his lap and reached for the phone. “But I want to try again. I was getting close to leveling up that time.”

He kept it away from me. “Close the window and you can have it back. Remember it can be far from me or the magic will leak out.”