Chapter 30 Bear Trap

Chapter 30

Bear Trap

My name echoed from the village below, but I wasn’t ready to go back. I didn’t want to face any of them. My family would probably rubbed in my face that Tobias and I were fight. That was the last thing I wanted to deal with right now.

“Raja!” 

I sunk deeper into space between the rocks.

“Raja!” Azuka climbed up the boulders and easily spotted me. “You really need to find new hiding places. They haven’t changed since you were a kid.”

“Go away. I don’t want to talk to you.”

Folding his arms, he leaned against a boulder. “Still the same Raja. I thought you had grown out of this.”

“Go away,” I snapped.

“Come on Raja.” He grabbed my arm and tried to pulled me to my feet. “Let’s go. Dad’s been looking for about you.”

“I said go away!” I jerked my arm free. 

“Stop acting like a child.” He yanked me to my feet. 

“Let go!” I shoved my brother back. “I don’t want to go with you.”

“Knock it off.” He started to pull me down the hill.

“Stop it!” I pried at his grip. “I’m not going back with you.”

Azuka didn’t listen. “Cut it out, Raja. You’re too old to be throwing a tantrum.”

“I said no!” I balled up my fist and slammed it into my brother’s jaw.

He staggered back and touched his split lip.

I covered my mouth. I couldn’t believe I had hit him. “Azuka?”

My brother’s face turned a deep red. “You are in so much trouble.”

I turned and ran for it.

“Raja!” He yelled after me as I climbed up the rocks. “Get back here now.”

I kept going until I reached the top and raced off into the trees. 

“Raja!”

My name sounded through the forest. I glanced back over my shoulder to see my brother pull himself onto the top ledge. I ran for it. If Azuka caught me, he would kill me. Disrespected him like that was enough reason for him to beat the crap out of me. I shouldn’t have done it. I knew that, but I just couldn’t take his attitude anymore. 

I jumped over a log and lost my balance. I stumbled into a tree, breathing heavily.

“Raja!” Azuka could be seen forty feet away, jogging toward me. 

I cursed under my breath and raced off. He followed me farther into the forest than I expected. I was hoping he would’ve given up by now. I started up a hillside and stumbled between the rocks and trees that scattered the area. Reaching a rock wall, I began to climb.

“Raja stop! Don’t go up there!”

I reached for a handhold as my foot slipped. Falling onto a large overhang, I landed on my back and felt the air rush from me. Rolling over, I gasped for air. My hand had been cut open on the rock, and blood was running down my arm. I clasped it to my chest as I slowly stood. A mouth of cave loomed over me.

“Oh my god,” I breathed as something large moved inside.

“Raja! Get out of there!” Azuka raced toward me.