Prologue

Thank you for reading Enjoy . Please see my bio for other books available

Prologue

In the dead of night she crept, no one understood her, no one had any idea what she was capable of, no one cared. She left her flashlight off as used the sliver of moonlight to light her way. It was enough as she hid in the shadows to wait.

The alarm had been disarmed, the motion sensors disabled. She has run through her plan over and over, timing herself until she had it down under five minutes. That was all the time she needed.

The stone sat in the middle of the room. A single beam of light from the backup generator shown down from above. She stood in front of the display case and took the ten seconds she allowed herself to admire the stone in all its glory.

"Time to move," she reminded herself and pulled out the glass cutter. "Easy..." attaching it to the side of the case, careful to not activate the sensor on the case, she cut the glass.

Spraying the container of hairspray, she located the laser beam. Lifting the glass from the case, she set it gently on the floor next to her. Almost done as her warning signal buzzed her watch. Right on schedule.

Lowering the mirrors at the same time, she managed to redirect the beams of light. "Easy as taking candy from a baby."

Digging into her bag, she pulled out the fake stone. It looks real enough. Same weight, same cuts. But anything but the real thing. Just as she practiced, she held the fake in one hand and in one quick motion exchanged the two stones.

With a smile on her face, she bagged the stone and picked up the glass with the suction cups. Holding it in place with one hand, she used the small device of her making in the other. Flipping on the flame, she glazed the glass back together.

Just as planned, the warning alarm went off in the room. She had two minutes before they would find her. Two minutes to get out of the room and back to the roof. Another minute for the harness, and one more to jump. She will just make it.

Aiming her repelling gun for the opened panel in the glass ceiling she shot her line and the hook gripped, locking into place. Attaching the line to her belt she was almost home free.

The door locked flipped, voices rang out in the building. They were early. "Shit!"

Pushing the button on her belt she rose up higher and higher until she was able to pull herself through the opening. The door below flew open, the flashlight beamed around the room landing on the fake stone in the now sealed case.

She watched when she should have ran. It was exhilarating, the rush of the moment. So close to getting caught. They were never quite fast enough to catch her. Even with him leading the team.

His flashlight hit her in the eyes, blinding her for the briefest moment. "Stop! Sam! You won't get away this time!"

At the sound of his voice she paused, smiling with a gleam in her eyes. "Sorry, Mac. Not this time."

Not bothering to replace the panel, Sam quickly secured her harness and raced to the edge of the building. Looking out at the city lights she had to admit the view from up here was gorgeous.

"Another time, Mac. Another time," gripping the strap of the bag tight, Sam heard the roof door open. The sound of feet pound on the graveled roof. She can't risk a second look.

"Sam!" Hearing his voice boom out her name, she stepped to the ledge and jumped.

She spread her arms and let the webbing between her arms and legs release as she soared across the sky. Nothing like a Midnight Flight to feel freedom. And with the stone, with this last job, she would know freedom at last.

Looking over the edge of the building, there was nothing Mac could do to stop her. Of course Sam was prepared for him to find her. She was the one person who seemed to know him like a book. Just one look into her fearless eyes and anyone could see that nothing scared her. She was truly amazing and unfortunately a thief and a fugitive.

Admiring her guts, Mac watched her soar between buildings and around an antenna. The height was an issue for Sam. She always did love a challenge. Just like he did. But they are on opposite sides of the law this time. He has to do his job.

"Do you want us to call it in, boss?" The newest kid on his team asked as he stood next Mac.

"No, she's gone. We'll find her again. Go down and take inventory. Find out what she took." Mac gave the order and continued to watch the night.

She landed a mile away and three stories up. Not where she planned on landing but it was safe enough. With the cover of darkness, she could have flown to the other side of town if only the wind had been on her side tonight.

It's a risk every time she flies. The military grade flight suit was a gift. She has a taste for thrills and adrenaline rushes. He knows that. That is why they fit so well together. If they weren't on opposite sides of the law, it would be a perfect match.

Someday maybe.

For now she needs to get out of town. Lay low, relax , enjoy the fruits of her labor. Sam has considered retiring but she was the best at what she does. Still a normal life could be interesting, and boring.

Taking off her flight suit and harness she tucked it away in her bag, securely hiding the stone beneath it. Letting her hair out of the wig she wore, she removed the latex mask from her face and threw both in the nearest trash can. Even Mac hasn't seen her real face. He never will.

"Time for a break," Sam told herself as she took the ladder down the fire escape.

So long New York. Goodbye East Coast. Hello warm beaches and sweet cocktails. No more dangerous jobs, no more looking over her shoulder. Samantha Midnight was free at last.