Chapter 1

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 1

With the cool Pacific Ocean air blowing through her hair, Sam breathed it in. She stashed the stone before leaving New York. The heat needs to let up before she has the stone cut down to sell it off. If she tried to sell it whole, Sam knew he would find her.

Knox Mackenzie is nothing less than relentless. And handsome. For the last two years he's been chasing her. Always one step behind her, but oh so close. Sometimes too close. He is a good agent, the kind who always gets the bad guys. The kind of guy you can trust, be a good friend, partner, or lover.

She shouldn't think this way about him. It's not going to end well for either of them if she starts to see him as a good person. They are on opposite sides of the law. That isn't going to change anytime soon. Her retirement years are way off yet and his career is just getting started.

But there's something about the man that pulls at her. Maybe it's his persistence, or his desire for justice. Maybe it's his light blue eyes and stellar physique. Sam has admired him plenty over the last two years.

"Plenty there to enjoy too," Sam mutters to herself as she looks around the stern of the ferry. Yes, a break is necessary.

She hopped on to her flight just in time last night to get out of New York before a warrant for her arrest was issued for her. She saw the news report on the plane as they were flying over Texas. She is a wanted woman again.

The picture on the news was a sketch and looked nothing like her. She has made sure to never show her real face when she is working. Not just for her safety but for his. If he ever knew just how close he had been to capturing her, he would kick himself.

They frequent the same coffee shop, shop at the same market, and even live within blocks of each other. Sam learned long ago to keep those who are after her close. Those who want to end her closer. It's a short list of people who get close enough to know who she is. Sam plans on keeping it that way.

How many times has she said hello to him at the coffee shop? Reached for the same item at the market? He even hailed her a cab a few times. A true gentleman, Knox Mackenzie is. And a very real threat to her livelihood and freedom. Knox is completely out of her league.

With the island in sight, she gathered her things and prepared for a month of warm sunshine, sandy white beaches and cold margaritas. Catalina Island is its own little world away from her world, small and beautiful and far away from the New York FBI on her tail.

As the boat docked, Sam walked down the rickety old pier for the small town. Seeing her ride waiting at the end of the pier, she waved and smiled at the old woman who grinned in her direction.

Arms wide, Sam hugged the woman who had raised her. "Oh my girl! My beautiful baby girl! It's been too long since I've seen you. You haven't seen the sun since your last visit, have you? Your gorgeous skin is pasty white."

"Aunt Lottie, you look amazing!" Sam kissed her aunt's cheek before she linked her arm through the old woman's and walked away from the crowd. "Where's Maisy? I thought she'd be here too."

"She's waiting for her cherry cobbler to come out of the oven. Your favorite," Lottie pointed to the bike rack and unlocked the tandem bike.

"Yum!" Sam grinned, climbing onto the bike behind her aunt.

The best part of Catalina is the transportation. No cabs, no traffic, no subway. Only a few golf carts, bikes and the occasional tourist bus. The air is clean, there's very few residents on the island this time of year and best of all, her family is here.