Chapter 8

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 8

Looking out the window, she saw that the car was still parked across the street. "That woman just doesn't give up."

Sam had to give Veronica props, the woman was tenacious. She has been sitting out there for hours now waiting for her to come out. Sam had a lot to do before she could leave. She didn't know when she would be back here again. It was important that she had everything she needed with her.

There's a chance that the FBI will decide to come here and look for her. It's very possible that they will find out that she's Samantha Midnight. And she will have to create a new identity completely. If that's the case, she will need plenty of money and her ID's with her. At least the ones she hasn't used.

Sam looked through the stack of ID's in her hand. She needs to be selective about what she brings with her. She's used several of these as her Samantha Midnight persona. It would be better to not take them with her.

"Time to leave Samantha Midnight behind," she said sadly. She was going to miss her. Sam liked that version of herself.

Bending over she sorted through the ID's and put the ones she's used back in the hole in the floor. Might as well leave them something worth finding. Putting a few diamonds and sapphires in there and a stack of hundreds she knew Knox would put it together.

Sam put the floorboard back down and stepped on it to snap it into place. She walked over it a couple of times. Listening to the difference between the other floorboards and the hallowed out one she had made for her stash of items she needed to hide.

Knox will hear the difference. He's smart enough to find this. And when he opens it, he'll know who she is. He'll know she fooled him and he'll hate her for it. It will destroy any feelings he might have had for her. But he will know she had feelings too and she knew he was smart enough to figure it out first.

Veronica, not so much. She will try and fail because she wants to beat Knox. That's her goal. And because Sam is sure it will be Knox finding this, Sam quickly wrote a note and wrapped it around the cash. He'll figure it out.

It was enough to send him going the wrong direction. He won't find her fast enough to catch her. She'll send them on a wild goose chase first. Let them think they have her. And then they'll be going one way, while she goes another.

Veronica would fall for that. She is the type who falls for the easy trail. Sam smiles looking out the window watching the woman as she pulls out binoculars to look her way. Instead of looking away or dodging the woman, Sam waves at her, acknowledging that she's being watched.

"You don't scare me, lady. You're too in my face. And too direct. I'm going to lose you tonight and you are going to look like the idiot that you are," Sam turns and picks up her drink and sips. "I wonder what she does when she has to pee? She doesn't have a partner and Knox said no one likes her."

Huh! It was something to think about. Knox knows her well. He doesn't like her either. Which begs to reason, why is she on this case? Was Knox taken off her case? He was put on vacation immediately after a job and right before another one? That's not normal.

The more Sam thought about it, the more she felt like something was wrong with this puzzle. Knox hasn't taken a single break since he started on this assignment two years ago. He's tracked her across the country. And he's been the closest player in this game to catching her. So why change the players now? Why, when Knox was literally within seconds of catching her on the last job?

Because he was closer to something bigger that someone didn't want him to find out about? Who would that be? Someone bigger than Knox? A boss? Who would replace him with this woman?