Chapter 5

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 5

Sam looked at herself in the mirror one last time and wondered if her aunts have had this dress hanging in their closet all these years waiting for this very moment to happen.

It was classic. Something that would never go out of style. The little black dress. A little sexy. A little bit out of style but a classic kind of style that she could still pull off. And the never out of style black heels were perfect with it.

When she said that she was going to go to this big party tonight she had never seen them so excited about anything. Perhaps she should have gone to her senior prom after all seeing how important this moment was for them.

Within minutes they had everything waiting for her. The dress, shoes, purse, Lottie did her hair, while Maisy played with her makeup. You'd think she was getting married.

Not in this lifetime.

But it was a moment for all of them. One that maybe the three of them needed. A bonding moment they had missed when she was younger and they were just playing catch up. In any event, they had it now.

Taking one last glimpse of herself in the mirror, Sam had to admit, she's seen herself dressed up many times over the years but not quite like this. This was special because it was for them. And she would remember it was the first time she was dressed up as Samina Atlas and not Samantha Midnight.

There was no disguise tonight. No wig, no latex mask, or bubble butt or fake boobs or false teeth. It was all her. Just Samina. And wasn't that frightening, to take down the guard of all those masks that have kept her safe for all this time and go out as herself.

It's a bit scary to have to be yourself for once. Sam hasn't had that opportunity much over the years. She seems to spend most of her time as Samantha Midnight, world's greatest jewel thief, instead of just Samina Atlas, gemologist and jewelry designer. Her alter ego has taken over much of her life.

Looking at the stranger in the mirror, Sam wonders if she will ever get to just be Samina Atlas or will Samantha Midnight always be there with her?

"Come on, Sugar! You don't want to be late!" Maisy called out, hurrying her along.

"I'm coming!" Biting on her lip, Sam hoped things went as planned tonight or it would be the last time she would see her family for a very long time.

Keeping her fingers crossed that Alex has everything in hand. She has to trust that someone else can do the job. And that's exactly why she's nervous and why she works alone.

"It will all be fine." She told herself, holding her stomach and wishing the butterflies would stop.

Knowing there's nothing else she can do, Sam gathered her things and walked out to say good night to her aunts.

"Oh, don't you look gorgeous! Maisy! Come here, Sammy's getting ready to leave for the ball," Lottie called out.

You'd think she was Cinderella leaving to see Prince Charming.

"I'm coming! I'm coming!" Maisy hurried in, camera in hand, stopping abruptly in the doorway and thumping her hand on her chest. "Oh! Oh, Lottie! Our baby girl has grown up."

Smiling with tears in their eyes, the two older sisters hugged each other looking at Sam. She gave a spin as they would only hound her for it if she didn't and allowed them to snap some pictures as required by her aunts.

They were all Sam had and since neither of them had children and she didn't do the whole prom thing when she went to school, and this was as close as they've ever gotten to a formal dance. Sam figured she owed them a few pictures.