Chapter 9

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 9

"I hate being right, especially when it's like this," Marcus read the note again and felt bad for his friend.

She was nice about it. He had to give her that. She said all the right things and she didn't bullshit him. Knox knows the truth. Samina is Samantha Midnight. The truth is right in front of him in black and white. As well as several other people according to her passports.

Knox sat on the floor looking through everything that he found in the box and he had his case. What he didn't know was why she was telling him this now. As he was reading the note again his phone beeped with a text message.

Knox absently looked at his phone and stopped everything. He read the message out loud, "Knox, I'm sorry to do this but I had to leave town. I don't know when I'll be back. Work takes me away and I don't have control sometimes. I'll think of you."

"Wow. You rated enough to get a goodbye text," Marcus' snarky comment wasn't appreciated. "Look, she has a thing for you obviously, but you know that you have to turn her in?"

"She didn't have to say anything to me, so why did she? She knew the risks of telling me who she is. She knew that I would have to arrest her, that I would come after her. Marcus, I was removed from the case, this just put me back on it." He shook the note and looked at the diamonds and passports still in the box.

"What do you want to do?" Marcus asked knowing that Veronica will be coming back here with the intention of searching the place herself.

Knox didn't take long to think it through, "We take this stuff with us. If I know Sam,"

"And we know you do,"

"This is all the evidence here that leads to Samantha Midnight. She's good about covering her tracks. She left this for me. Not for Veronica to find," Knox was positive about that. "She did it for a reason."

Pocketing the money, passports, jewels and note, Knox wiped down the house removing any evidence of their visit and quietly left the house. The two men headed for the airport with one intention in mind - to figure out what name Sam was using and where she was headed next.

They weren't the only ones looking for Sam. As the two men walked into the airport they were immediately confronted with Veronica's team of misfits who were interrogating people who worked for every airline and what looked like all the security and department of homeland security agents as well.

"She really doesn't know how to make friends, does she?" Marcus asked as they walked around the group.

Showing their ID, they avoided getting probed themselves and sat back in a corner to watch what she was finding out. From what Knox could tell it wasn't much.

The crew from each airline were not much help. No one recognized the picture of Sam that Veronica showed them. They didn't know the name of Samantha Midnight or Samina Atlas. That didn't surprise Knox, how many times had he run down different names for her. And the number of pictures that he had of her were all different people.

She has an art of changing her appearance. She won't be found that way. Knox knew that from experience. Not by the way she looks and not by her name. So how do they track her? He thought about that and had almost come up with it when Veronica spotted them.

"What are you doing here? Did you figure out your girlfriend isn't who she said she was?" The woman is a real piece of work.

"I'm on vacation. I'm going back home. What are you doing here?" Knox asked as if he had no idea what she was talking about." Marcus sat this one out. He didn't know what Knox had in mind but he figured it was better to not get in the middle of this.