Chapter 3

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 3

She lied. It wasn't the first time she lied to her aunts and it wouldn't be the last but it was for their safety as much as her own. If Agent McKenzie knew who she was it would really ruin her little vacation time with her family. No one wanted that.

"You know that handsome officer might need some company while he's on the island. It would do you some good to show him the island, socialize a bit," Lottie wiggled her eyes at Sam.

"I doubt he needs any help finding company," turning around, Sam starts to get back to work.

"How do you know he's FBI? You didn't answer me?" Lottie asks again.

The woman is a dog with a bone. Sam has known this for years but when it comes to men and setting her up with one, a handsome one at that, Charlotte Atlas is the most persistent person on the planet.

"I saw his badge when he was outside looking at the stuff I was working on. I'm starving. I'm going down to see Carly. Do you want anything?" Grabbing her wallet, Sam put her things together.

"No, we've got ours. Tell Carly hi for us," Maisy waved Sam out knowing Lottie would beg her for something deep fried which the doctor said no to.

Walking down the boardwalk, Sam caught the smell of fresh fish frying, the waffle cones from the ice cream shop and hot dogs from the street vendor. All of it was welcoming and smelled delicious.

She missed this. This was home for her. Unfortunately she could be here for so long this time before she had to leave. The calls would start, the threats would begin, and she would have to keep her family safe. It was better this way.

Taking a late lunch break, Sam headed for her favorite spot. The little Mexican restaurant on the corner of the dock. They serve the best tacos and margaritas. Going into the bar area, she saddled up to the bar and waved to the waitress who she has known for years.

"I heard you were back on the island! You want your usual?" Carly asked as she served an older couple their lunch.

"That would be perfect! But no margarita yet, I'm working today, I'll be back after work for that!" Sam grinned as a basket of tortilla chips and salsa was placed in front of her.

Picking up a chip she dipped it into the green salsa first and savored the moment. Carly made the best salsa anywhere. Red or green didn't matter, the woman made magic in the kitchen. If she could convince Carly to come to the mainland with her, she would do it. But then even Carly, her best friend from high school, doesn't really know her. No one does.

The people on Catalina know Sam Atlas, jewelry designer and gemologist. They believe she works for some big mining company that sells its gems to jewelers. They think she is able to get deals on different gems because the company loves her and allows her to buy the raw pieces that jewelers won't buy.

The cover allows her to travel around the world without having to explain herself. It gives her the ability to come and go from the island as she wants and to afford to live the life she wants and support the ones she loves. Her aunts will never leave this island and that's just fine with Sam.

"So you don't live here?" His warm voice startled her.

Jumping in her seat, Sam turned around to find Agent McKenzie right behind her. Shit! He heard that conversation with Carly. He could put it all together now. Sam knew exactly how smart the FBI agent was and she put nothing past him.

Getting a close up and personal look at the agent, Sam could now say that the ice blue eyes are killers. But those eyes have nothing on the muscles that are on display. The agent usually has those hidden under his fancy shirts and ties, but now in T-shirt and shorts, he's got some nice assets.