Chapter 10

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 10

Marcus is a fool if he thinks she isn't watching him. Veronica had teams on both ends of the country watching the two FBI agents that could get her what she wants: The Graff diamond and Samantha Midnight.

Capturing the thief who has managed to escape the FBI for the past two years would be a feather in her cap but to kill the thief and acquire the Graff diamond for her own, that would be a serious coup. One she intends to grab with both hands. Once she gets her hands on that diamond, she will be able to get the payday for herself.

Veronica Bell isn't stupid she knows exactly who is looking for this stone and she knows what this man is willing to pay for it. She's just going to be sure that he pays her for the stolen diamond and not Midnight. She has worked too hard to make sure she finally got put on this case to lose her chance now.

Those idiots, Knox and Marcus, aren't going to get in her way.

Veronica knows those two men know more than they are sharing with her. She just has to get one of them to talk and then the rest of the information will fall into place. Midnight can't hide forever. Especially when she has the thief's favorite agent tied up on the east coast and he can't chase her.

Knocking on the door of the west side apartment, she waits for Knox to come to the door. When he doesn't answer, she knocks again and realizes she miscalculated her own plan. Kicking the door in, she stormed into the apartment to find it empty. Knox was gone and she was left empty handed again.

"Where is he?" She yelled in the radio at her team that was supposed to be watching Knox. "Where did he go?"

No one answered. As far as they knew he was still in the apartment. He went in last night after coming home from the airport. He got a call at midnight from Marcus Rhodes and went to bed. That's all the activity they had. The guy should still be in bed.

Veronica stood in the bedroom at the foot of the bed, still made and didn't look like it had been slept in. No suitcase, no phone, no Knox. He was gone. All she could do was sit and steam at the lack of information from her team. She had been fooled again.

"Find him! He went after her! Find him!" She yelled and stormed out of the room the way she came in and got back in her car. Dialing the private number on a separate phone, she looked around to make sure her team was busy.

"He's gone. I don't know! After her I guess! I'm going to kill them both now! They deserve to die for this betrayal!" She listened to her instructions and breathed heavily as she grew anxious to get started. "I won't fail!"

Tucking the secret phone away, she started the car. Midnight must have gone back to the island. She must be trying to save her family. Fine, that's fine. That's where she will die.

"Get a plane ready. We're going back to California. Midnight is still there!" She ordered.

"But we just left there?" One of her team complained.

"You don't think I don't know that! Get the damn plane!" Angrier that she is being questioned about her orders, Veronica knows just how this makes her look. Stupid! She thought to herself. It makes her look incompetent and stupid. Midnight will pay for that too.

Marcus opened the back door for Knox and let him in the kitchen to the smell of hot coffee. Passing his friend a mug full, he picked up his own. Knox was exhausted from flying across the country twice all night. He was going to need more than coffee to keep him going this morning.

"Where is she?" He asked, after he drank down his first cup.

"Don't know. She left here last night only telling me that she'd be in touch. She thinks Veronica wants to kill you. And she thinks her aunts are in danger. I promised to get them somewhere safe," telling Knox the highlights of his conversation with Sam, Knox gets up to speed.