Chapter 14

Thank you for reading enjoy

Chapter 14

"You are supposed to be taking care of my aunts! And you're injured! What the hell are you thinking?" Sam whispered the growl angrily, not happy with her travel companion.

She had trusted him to take care of the two people who matter most to her and he left them to be taken by Veronica to blackmail her with. Sam didn't understand what he was thinking. Knox was smart, detailed and understood the situation. It didn't make sense.

"Marcus has them. You need me to get Veronica away from them." He assured her as if he had a plan to take Veronica down. He just hasn't shared it with Sam. Smiling, Knox took her hand and kissed it. "They are safe, baby. I promise."

What did he say? Baby? Who's baby? Sam was suddenly taken off balance. No one but his aunts have used nicknames for her. Ever.

"We'll get off in Atlanta and drive from there. I have someone you need to meet," Knox told her before taking a drink. "Baby? Did you hear me?"

Sam was stunned into silence. She didn't know how to respond to him. He kissed her hand and called her baby. She couldn't get past those gestures and comprehend anything else.

He continued to talk, telling her his plan and what he had arranged for her aunts. Sam heard none of it. Knox explained what he had planned, how they would go about it and where they were going. She was lost thinking about that kiss and his affection for her.

"Babe?"

"Huh?" She hadn't heard another word.

"I said I've got a plan. Don't worry. In a couple hours your aunts will be safely tucked away in a five star mountain resort with celebrity treatment. No one will find them and they will absolutely enjoy themselves. Marcus has it under control. You need to trust me, I know what I'm doing. Do you?" Knox raised his eyebrows at her.

He challenged her. Whether they are on the same side of the law or not, he pushed her to work harder, to think things through, to be smarter about her plans than to react faster. If anything Knox has made her a better thief.

This fairytale idea that something had changed between them was ridiculous. He would throw her in prison as soon as he got Veronica in custody. Sam knew she couldn't afford to think any differently about this situation. She was a thief. A good one and Knox is on the other side of the law. Fairytales don't bend the rules even for that.

"Baby, do you have a plan?" There's worry in his tone. For the first time, Knox wondered if she knew what she was doing.

"I was leading her away from you. So yes, I know what I'm doing!" She snapped, annoyed that he questioned her. "Why are you calling me baby?"

Knox frowned as if he hadn't realized he had done it. Hesitating only a second it was enough for Sam to see the crack in his armor. "I wasn't sure what alias you were using. I figured calling you that was a better cover than calling you the wrong name. What name are you using?"

"Sandy Marshall. Did you use one?" She asked, trying not to overthink it.

"Tom Jones for the flight. I can adjust it to fit with yours. Ken Marshall works for you?" Knox suggested with Sam realizing he used his real initials for his fake one.

"Fine," it took a few minutes for her to realize what he said. When it finally clicked, Sam interrupted him with a confused expression on her face. "Wait! Are you suggesting that we pose as a couple?"

"Veronica won't consider that we are working together, much less traveling together. She's going to be looking for us traveling individually. We stick together as a newlywed couple, we can keep her off our tail."