Chapter 7

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 7

"Are you sure about that?" Marcus asked, sitting at breakfast across from Knox, he got the call he was waiting for. "Okay, thanks."

As he disconnected the call, Knox saw that his friend didn't get the news he was hoping for. "Bad news?"

"Yes and no," Marcus rubbed his chin debating on whether to admit what he had done. Knowing Knox he'd find out sooner or later anyway and would be furious that he hadn't been told about it. "I had your girlfriend looked into."

"You had my what?" It took Knox a full minute before he realized who Marcus was talking about. "Samina? You had the bureau look into her? Have you lost your mind?"

"She has you wrapped around her finger, Knox. I've never seen you like this. I have to wonder why. You've chased Samantha Midnight for two years. You know that woman like the back of your hand. You have gotten the closest to capturing her. So why is it you didn't get the slightest hint of her being on the island? Why didn't you sense her at that event?" Marcus, unfortunately, has a point.

Knox couldn't answer his questions because he didn't have the answers. The problem was he knew his friend was absolutely right. The first thing he should have done was look into Samina. Why he didn't do that, Knox didn't know.

"So what did you find out?" He asked, hoping that Samina wasn't the woman they were looking for.

"She isn't Samantha Midnight if that's what you're worried about," Marcus growled, lifting his mug of coffee and drinking it. "She's who she says. Gemologist and jewelry designer. She works for some mining company based in San Diego that sells to upscale jewelry stores. She gets first dibs on rocks that the other guys don't want. She's pretty selective with what she chooses for her aunt's shop but she gets them some nice stuff."

"So she's in the clear?" Knox wants to breathe a sigh of relief but he doesn't just yet.

"I'm not ruling her out but I don't see anything in her file yet. Be careful, Knox. She's on the radar now. I'm not the only one who requested information about her. That means she's being watched by others who won't be so easy on her," Marcus didn't have to tell him who the other person who requested the information was. He already knew.

"She's going off the island today. She has to work," Knox muttered to himself as he stood up knowing he had to stop her.

"You are staying put, lover boy. Veronica will only make things worse for her if you go after her. I'll take care of this." Marcus got up and tossed some money on the table. "You owe me."

"Keep Veronica away from Sam, Marcus. She'll eat her alive," Knox wasn't exaggerating.

Veronica was jealous and that was just the beginning of her lethal combination of emotions that made her toxic. Every agent in the bureau knew to stay away from her. She wasn't the kind of partner who you wanted to work with. Definitely not for any extended period of time.

He packed his bags and headed for the dock. Just barely making it in time for the ferry. As Marcus stepped onto the boat he saw Veronica standing on front end of the boat watching the rear end. Apparently, she has already spotted her prey.

Watching the woman, Marcus noticed that she wasn't moving in to confront her. Samina was sitting alone all by herself texting someone and not paying attention to anyone around her. She certainly doesn't look like someone who just pulled off a multimillion dollar heist.

He would just wait and see.

On the first ferry off the island, Sam was certain she had left without being noticed. All the same she knew she had to be careful. The FBI were still too close for comfort and she was going to be a suspect if she did anything that was out of line.