Chapter 2

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 2

"The last time we actually took time off like this was right after training, remember?" Marcus grinned over as the wind blew through his bleached blonde hair.

They went through the academy together. They clicked. From the beginning Knox with his dark haunting features and Marcus with his beach bum attitude, they were as opposite as they come but they worked well together. As they teamed up through the academy, they solved the practice cases, worked their way through each project and aced their classes.

Unfortunately they had other things in mind for their futures. Marcus took the west coast and Knox took the east. They managed to get together over the last few years over a weekend here and there. Usually because they were working on a case and needed a favor. Just like Knox needed one now.

"Not exactly," Knox muttered, looking out at the island in front of them.

"Look your director said that you were to relax, no talk about this case that's driving you crazy and definitely nothing about this Midnight woman. What did you get dumped?" Marcus nudged him as if he had time for a social life.

Shaking his head, Knox owed him enough to explain it all to him. "Samantha Midnight, she's the woman no one has actually met. I've seen her twice. From a distance, dim lighting and far enough away I can't give you a good description. I can tell you that she's petite, flexible and from what I've seen could be a gymnast who has no fear of heights."

"Sounds like a woman who could rock your world," Marcus joked.

"If only she was on my side of the law. She's the best jewel thief I've ever seen. She stole The Rock from Christie's the other night. The alarm didn't even go off. She managed to get into the room from the glass window in the roof. Repelled down on a thin wire that didn't trip any of the pressure alarms, through alarm beams that were crisscrossed throughout the room, fourteen by fourteen squares.

"The diamond was in a weighted case. The alarm should have gone off when she removed it but she replaced it fast enough with a replica, identical in size, cut and weight. To the untrained eye, you would have thought it was the real thing. If I hadn't seen her leaving, I wouldn't have known what was missing."

"How'd you know?" Marcus was taking his mental notes like he always does. The guy has the best memory.

Scrubbing his hands over his face, this was the part that bothered him. It didn't make sense. "I got a call, a tip that my favorite thief was in town for one night only. It didn't take long to figure out why. We barely got into the room when she dove off the roof, twenty stories up."

Marcus let out a whistle, impressed with her already. "No wonder Director Sterner is pissed with you. She's the same one who stole the Dresden Green and the Steinmetz Pink?"

"One and the same. Samantha Midnight is the best gem thief I've ever seen. Catching her won't be easy for anyone." And Knox will be impressed by the person who finally does. She won't be caught by just anyone.

No matter what Maxwell thinks about him, Knox knows one thing. It won't be Ronnie who gets Midnight. She doesn't have what it takes to catch a thief like that. Midnight has skill, finesse, style, even class. She's not some corner chump on the street selling fake Rolex.

"Well, you better get some practice with style and class then," Marcus points to the island that's beginning to get bigger but not much. "There's maybe four thousand people here. And they all know each other. Tourist area mostly. Most of the island is for wildlife. But it's a nice escape for a few days from the grind. There is a nice golf course on the island. You might like that."