The Voice

Sophie 

The hurt that flashes across his face as Sophie stumbles back is heartbreaking.

"Sorry!" She cries.

Sophie, please answer. Please come home. The crisp accent transmits.

Sophie grimaces. She knows that accent anywhere.

She puts up the thickest wall she can and gets up from the ground. "I'm sorry Keefe, Fitz was transmitting."

He stiffens, "What did he say?"

"He's begging me to come back and he's sorry," She replies, her voice cold.

"You don't forgive him?" Keefe asks.

"Of course not!" Sophie shouts. "He didn't stick up for me or you and he's delusional."

Keefe's face relaxed. "Oh, good, I thought you would want to go back."

"I would never." Suddenly a wave of tiredness washes over Sophie. "Hey, Keefe?"

"Mhm."

"Could we go back, I'm not feeling very well."

"Sure Foster."

Fitz 

Sophie, please answer. Please come home. Fitz transmits.

He doesn't expect an answer but he still has to hold on to the hope that she can forgive us.

Fitz waits a few seconds until he tries to transmit again. It stings when he can feel her blocking him.

All least I know she's all right. He thinks bitterly. I'd better tell Dad.

Keefe 

"Come on Foster, almost there," Keefe says.

"Uhhhh." Foster whines.

He puts his hand on her forehead and it's burning hot.

That's strange, elves don't get sick. 

He puts his hand on her forehead again and this time it's ice cold.

What is going on?

Keefe drags her to the room and lays her down on the bed.

"Okay Foster, I'm going to get some water for you," He tells her.

Sophie makes some indeterminable sound.

Keefe walks away and fills up the cup with musty human water but when he comes back all the lights are flashing.

He runs over to Sophie and shakes her awake.

"Sophie, something's happening."

Her eyes fly open but they relax. "Oh, this is nothing. It's normal. It should stop right about..... now."

Right on cue, the lights stop.

"What in the world," Keefe says dumbfounded.

"Can I go back to sleep now?" Foster asks irritated.

He sighs. "Sure."

Hey guys! You'll never guess what will happen next! Comment what you think.

Happy reading!

Rocker out