Chapter 2: Telling Mom

When you have a mom who has been through enough life threatening situations with dinosaurs, how do you bring up the subject of her only child working with them? I mean, obviously I wasn't around when she spent a weekend in heaven that turned into hell, but I've heard the stories. I've seen the reports.

The experience she had was horrifying and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone. Although, she did have her best friend, my Uncle Alan with her. I somewhat helped save his life when I was seven.

I remember it clear as day. The phone rang and it was a random number, I only answered because mom was outside talking to my dad. His panicked voice kept asking for my mom and to put her on the line.

I saw she was outside so I decided to wait til she came inside, but I kept the phone in my hand. The sound of the rain was heavy and I couldn't clearly hear Alan. 

When mom came in I told her that the Dinosaur Man was on the phone. She snatched the phone out of my hand and had issues with hearing what was going on before the call dropped. She dialed a number and waited for an answer.

I remember going back to watching TV at that point but mom ran around like crazy for the next twenty minutes or so making phone calls and talking about Isla Sorna- Site B.

To this day she still worries about anything happening to anyone on Isla Nublar that is there to see Jurassic World. I mean, with her background who wouldn't be worried.

The real question here is how do I tell her about my job offer?

It's been a week since I called Mr. Masrani and I still have to talk to her. There's only a week left to decide, and I think I really want to try it.

Right now she was out grocery shopping so I guess I'll just talk to her about it when she gets home. In the mean time I'll watch some Finding Carter. I missed the last two weeks.

*************

After watching both episodes of Finding Carter my mom finally got home. Jumping up from the couch, I went out to the car to help unload it.

"Hey mommy!" Greeting her while skipping out the front door. She looked at me suspiciously. Oh crap, I said mommy. That usually means I need to talk to her about something. Damn, way to be smooth Charlie. You already fucked up...

Mom put down the bags that were in her hands and continued to place her hands on her hips.

"What did you do now Char?" She asked. Hmm do I tell her now or wait til were inside?

"Ummm..." Hesitation, damn it. Hesitation proves it's serious. "Well, I was offered a job somewhere and I thought I should talk to you about it before deciding what to do. You know how I value your opinion." I shrugged my shoulders hoping that she wouldn't think too much into it.

"Ok, we'll talk inside. Help me with these groceries first." Grabbing four bags each we brought everything in the house then going back out to grab more. We continued to put the groceries away, but what fun is without a little music?

I made my way to our kitchen intercom and turned on the radio.

"Making my way downtown, walking fast, faces pass and I'm home bound." My mom's head whipped over to look at me.

All the sudden we were dancing around the kitchen like idiots having a blast.

"If I could fall into the sky do you think time would pass me by 'cause you know I'd walk a thousand miles if I could just see you tonight!" We held up our own bananas pretending that they were microphones. We haven't had this much fun in forever.

As the song finished, my mom and I just looked at each other. We burst out laughing and then finished putting away the food.

"So, sweetie what did you want to talk about?" She went over to a cabinet and pulled out a mug and started the coffee pot. I bite my lip thinking of how to break it to her.

"Well, mom you see..." Just then my dad burst through the front door.

"Honey I'm home!" He's very cliche if you couldn't tell. Mom giggled and told him we were talking in the kitchen. "What did I miss?"

"Charlie said she had to talk to me about a job offer she got." My dad, Mark, looked at me and I nodded in confirmation.

"Let's hear it then!"

"So I got a letter from this guy. His name is Simon Masrani." I paused to see if either of them recognized the name. Mom seemed interested and dad had a blank look. Oh no. "Basically he offered me a job as a trainer at his park." Mom's eyes lit up.

"Charlie that's great! Which one is it and more importantly where is it?" Her smile radiated happiness. I glanced over at my dad to see him giving me a look. He knows.

"Yea. Where is it Charlotte?" There goes the full name. Mom gave dad a confused look.

"Um, well that's the thing. It's on an island." Pause. "Off the coast of Costa Rica."