Chapter 3: Talking it Over

"WHAT THE HELL CHARLIE! ARE YOU SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING THIS? THIS IS COMPLETELY OUT OF THE QUESTION! YOU ARE NOT GOING AND THAT'S FINAL! I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ONE WORD ABOUT THIS EVER AGAIN!" Geez, my mom's got some damn good lungs in her. My dad looked at me, disappointed more than anything. Why is he disappointed? It's not like I said yes to the offer, yet.

"But mom-" I tried to explain that it was just an offer.

"I don't want to hear it. I do not care if you are twenty-two. Go to your room. I can't stand to see your face right now." My heart sunk at that last comment. I whispered a quick okay and left the kitchen. Instead of going to my room, I grabbed my car keys to my Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder and left the house all together.

I drove to the one safe place I have. When you live in a small town like mine, you tend to find all these little nooks and crannies. Well my little nook happens to be by a lake that has a waterfall. Actually more like on the lake, behind the waterfall.

When I was around 13 or 14 I came here with a good friend of mine at the time. We used to swim here every week at least twice. It really is a beautiful place.

Since we spent so much time at the lake, we came to the conclusion that we would make the cave behind the water fall like our own tree house, but not in a tree. There are two beanbag chairs, a bookcase stacked with paleontology books, marine animal books, paleobotany books, etc.

It became our sanctuary. Only the two of us know about it, but two can keep a secret if one of them is dead right?

I climbed up the rocky sides and behind the waterfall. Everything sat in its proper place. A few lanterns lay around, the battery packs on top of the bookshelf and the beanbag chairs resting and calling out for me to sit on one like old times.

I felt safe here. This is the one place I can go for peace and quiet, even if it causes memories to resurface. Our pictures were spread out all over. Some where in frames on the tables we had, some were taped to vines that grew in here, and some were dangling from string taped to the ceiling of the cave. It was a collage cave in a way.

I spent another hour just relaxing and thinking over everything in the cave before I left to go back home. I dreaded my arrival. No doubt would my mom still be angry about the offer, but also probably for leaving. I don't even want to think about what my dad would do.

************

As soon as I pulled into the driveway, I turned off the car and made a run for it into the house attempting to get past my parents and straight into my room.

"Whoa there miss. Stop right there and get in here." My dad hollered from the family room. I groaned and turned back around. I stomped down the stairs that I actually succeeded in climbing before being called back down.

Walking into the family room I was attacked by my mom out of no where. But it wasn't a bad thing. She just surprise hug attacked me. She started crying into my shoulders and kept saying she was sorry.

I pulled away from the hug and gave her a questioning look.

"Mom, why are you sorry? You didn't even do anything wrong." She hiccuped and stepped away.

"But I didn't listen to you. I just lashed out and I shouldn't have. I should have let you explain and talk to me like an actual adult." She hiccuped again, motioned for me to sit down and she sat next to dad. "You know what I went through with that first park. I know you do, even if I didn't tell you everything myself." she paused again, but she was right. "Charlie, I almost lost my best friend and my life because of these monsters. I was face to face with them. They still haunt my dreams and I just wish hey wouldn't." I felt the guilt begin to sink in. Maybe I shouldn't have even considered the offer.

"Mom-" I went to say something, but she cut me off.

"No. Listen to me first." I nodded and she continued. "I thought that after that weekend I was done with them. That I could settle down and have the family I always wanted and continued with work that wouldn't try to eat me. I should've known that you would grow up to like them too given the environment you live in with us."

She took another break.

"Ellie you don't have to do this. We talked about it-" Mom faced dad and glared at him for a split second hen rubbed her hands on her face.

"Mark stop it. I do have to do this." She turned back to me and gave me a small smile.

"The thing is Charlie. You aren't me. you haven't experienced anything that I have to ruin your opinions. You are old enough to make your own choices. Hell you're old enough to drink if you wanted to. So that's why I decided for you."

What the hell is she talking about? I'm really confused right now.

"Charlie, we called Mr. Masrani. Your flight leaves on Tuesday at 8:30A.M."