Chapter 11: Training the Trainer

"Eyes on me T! Eyes on me girl. That's it" Thea looked up at me and resisted chasing the deer that we let loose in her paddock. I turn to Owen and explain that we test them to see if we can with hold them from an accident, like if a guest were to somehow magically fall in. 

He nods his head in understanding. I asked if he wanted to try and he quickly shakes his head 'no'. Little chicken. I grab my walkie talkie and radio Barry.

"Barr, are we doing the social skills test again?" This test... it'll be the death of me, but I want, no. I need to do this again. 

"What test is that?" Owen looks at me with curiosity. "How does this test work?" His eyebrows scrunch up. I open my mouth to reply, but I'm cut off by my walkie. 

"We prepared for it, but if you're not ready you don't have to do this." Am I ready? What if she does it again? How will she react to the test after not doing it for so long.

contemplating the outcome, I radio Barry to let him know that I'm going to try again. Owen's face screams that he's frightened. 

"Charlie, what are you talking about? What does this test do?" He questions me relentlessly as Barry brings the crane around with the safety harnesses attached. 

"You'll find out." I give a short reply. The restraints stop right by the edge of the railing. I walk over and grab them. Barry lowers them a little more to allow me access to get in them. "Will you help me strap up?" I glance at him to see that his jaw has hit the ground.

"You-you-you-... no! You're not going in there! Are you crazy?

Smirking, I raise my left arm. His jaw drops as his words fall on silent ears. Quickly Owen helps me into my harness and triple-checks every knot, lock, and cable before approving me. 

"Please be careful. This is dangerous work and you're the only mentor I get." he whispers. I nod looking at him in understanding. There was no one for me. I had to learn all on my own, but I have background knowledge. He's a blank slate. 

The crane lifts me up slowly. Once I'm high enough up, they begin to move me into the paddock.

My heart drops. She's not expecting this. She's going to freak. What if Thea hurts me again? What if she eats me completely this time? My breaths come out shorter and really quickly. 

My hands are clammy, my throat is closing up. I can't breath. Why did I want to do this? 

Looking down, my feet are dangling over her home. 

Thud! Thud! Thud!

She hears me. Oh my god. Get me out. I can't do this anymore. I change my mind. 

The cranes starts to lower me down. My heart is hammering in my ears. Thea makes her grand entrance from the trees. Her once kind eyes are confused and curious. Her steps are cautious and slow. Thea's head bobs up and down as she moves.

Lower and lower I go still. Half-way there. Spots begin to cloud my vision. The crane continues to take me down further. My feet eventually touch the soft ground. 

"Barry..." my words fall out of my mouth. "Barry, where is she?" 

"What do you mean? She's right in front of you." He replies confused. 

"I- I can't see anything." My sight has decided to disappear at the worst possible moment. All because of a dinosaur. This is wrong. Why am I so afraid all of the sudden?

"I'm taking you out. If you can't handle this, you need to leave the paddock." 

"No! Just- Just guide me. Tell me how far away she is. Tell me what she's doing. I'll be fine in a few minutes. I promise!"

Sorry it's not much, but I'm not sure what else to add for this chapter. I am working on the next chapter(s?) though :)))