Chapter 12: Waiting

"Charlotte, do you understand how dangerous your actions were? You could have gotten yourself killed! What were you thinking?" Mr. Masrani hollered. What was I thinking?

"Sir, do you have children?" He got me a flat look. His eyebrow rose as if asking me if I was serious. "With all due respect, she's my child. I was there when she hatched. I helped her grow. Hell, she and I used to cuddle in the nursery. She means the world to me. Do you know how much it hurts not being able to be close with her?" He stared at me and sighed. He brought his hands up to his face to rub his temples. 

"Charlie, you had a panic attack- in the cage." He said. 

"Yes, I am aware. Asking Barry to lead me was stupid, it was reckless, but I needed it. Hell, Thea needed it." I moved from the doorway I was standing in to sit in one of the chairs. Masrani stood behind his desk chair. He turned and faced the window. A few minutes of silence passed by. 

We both watched the park in action. People hustling around from attraction to attraction. Kids ran from their parents to go see their favorites. 

"Owen's raptors should be hatching soon. You should go." Masrani finally broke the silence. Instead of replying, I stood and left his office. 

After shutting the door behind me, I bolted it to the creation lab. Just as Viv was there for me, I'm going to be there for Owen. He seemed like he needed it to. Upon my arrival to the lab, he was pacing profusely. 

"You're going to pass out before they hatch at this rate." I smirked at his panicked face. 

In three steps Owen was by my side and engulfing me in a hug. Both of his arms wrapped around me perfectly. My arm awkwardly held him in place. He nuzzled his face into my neck. 

"How the hell are you so calm about this?" He asked. We broke apart and I shrugged. "Were you nervous when Thea hatched?" 

"My situation was a lot different O. I grew up learning about these animals. I wished for a chance like this." I smiled at him. "Thea was the best thing to happen to me."

Owen took a breath and tried to calm down- hence the tried. Twenty minutes had gone by and he was back to pacing while I sat at someone's desk. Oops. Suddenly, he stopped and looked at the eggs. There were four of them. His pause caught my attention and I stood up. 

"Are they hatching?" I asked him excitedly. He shook his head and walked across to the desk I was previously sitting at before taking the seat. 

"What if they don't like me? What do I even do when they do start to hatch? What am I doing here?" Owen started to freak out. Ah hell no. He rested his elbows on his knees while his hands held his face and was taking deep breaths again. 

"Owen." He didn't respond. "Owen!" I called a little louder. He cast his eyes up to me.  "Everything is going to be okay." I nodded at him encouraging him to nod back. He sighed again and stood. I slid back down into the seat. He gave me a funny look, but I raised my eyebrow at him daring him to say something. 

Owen shook his head and laughed. 

"So, we never did get down to how you know who I am," said Owen. He looked at me expectantly while I looked everywhere but at him. It hurts to think about it. We may have laughed a lot when we talked about me knowing about him, but it hurt. I haven't seen him in years. One day he was here and the next he was gone. Cliche, but true. 

"A mutual friend," I muttered and forced a smile. 

It was quiet for a few minutes after that. Owen didn't say anything. He was focused on the eggs, but he kept glancing over to me. I sat there and stared. I'm not even sure what I stared at, but I stared. 

After what felt like days, a small chipping noise sounded through the room.