Chapter 5: Meeting Thea

The creation lab is amazing. There are geneticists working all over the lab and the nests are spread out according to species. Walking around the lab, I observe all of the nests. I pass the Triceratops, the Mososaurs, the Apatosaurs, and the Pteranodons(they have a cage over them to prevent them from trying their new wings when they hatch). There are a few more, but my attention is drawn to one specifically. The one I've been thinking about. 

I rush over to that nest and see three eggs. 

"Ah so are these the ones you want to wok with?" A voice asks me. I glance up to see an Asian man looking at me from above some charts he's holding. 

I read his name tag to see that he is the infamous Dr. Henry Wu. I nod and stay quiet. He must think I'm crazy. Who would want to work with these ones? I have to be crazy.

"Are you positive on your choice? This is one of the most dangerous to train." I nod again, finding my voice to weak to reply. "Well, they should be ready to hatch sometime in the afternoon tomorrow, if our calculations are correct."Once again I nod. Dr. Wu nods back and leaves me be. 

*************

"This is the best spot on the island. It's far enough away from the park that you can have your own privacy and space, but close enough that it's not too much of a drive or walk to get where you need to be. " Claire is dressed in jeans and a tank top with flipflops, which is a little weird, but pretty cool too. We talk over some more details and figure out that I'll have to stay in one of the hotels for now while they build me a little bungalow at the spot. 

"Claire?" She spins to face me. 

"Yea?"

"Would it be too much to ask if I could just stay with you?" She hesitates and thinks for a second or too, but she eventually nods and says that she wouldn't mind some company. I had left all my stuff in the creation lab, so Claire radios Wu and asks him to have it sent to her place. 

Together we got back in her car and headed to hers. 

The rest of the day and into the night we were like teenage girls at a sleepover. We were up until like 2A.M. just talking and sharing stories. It felt good to talk to someone again. 

**************

I woke up around 11A.M. to my ringtone signalling that someone was calling me. Groaning, I got up from the floor where I fell asleep last night. Claire was no where in sight, so I guess she went to the control room. 

My phone continued to ring and I found it charging by the TV. The number wasn't saved in my contacts, but I answered any way. 

"Hello?" I asked while in mid-yawn. 

"Ah!  Charlie! Are you still asleep?" Mr. Masrani's voice echoed through the phone. Instantly I felt more awake.

"Sir? I was, but I'm up now. What can I do for you?" He laughed which was a little concerning. Did I say something weird?

"Charlie you can call me Simon, I insist." Oh, okay then. "But I was calling more for what you can do for me." What the hell is he talking about? "Your eggs are showing signs of hatching soon. Very soon. So I suggest you get over here and meet your new dinosaurs." I dropped my phone and ran. Didn't even say bye or anything. 

Within ten minutes I was dressed, hair brushed, teeth brushed, breakfast in my hand, and out the door running as fast as I could. It took maybe five more minutes to get to the lab and boy was I out of breath. 

Bending over, I tried to slow down and ease my breathing. I don't want to scare my new babies. A female giggled from my left. I stood up to see who it was but it was someone I didn't recognize. She held out a hand to me. "Hi. My name is Vivian. I work in the control room, but I heard about your choice so I wanted to come and watch." 

Vivian. That's a pretty name. What am I going to name my girls? I hope I can think fast. I reached out and shook her hand. 

"Nice to meet you Vivian. My name is Charlie, but you probably knew that somehow." i laughed at the end as her cheeks turned pink. 

Together we stood and waited for more signals that my babies were hatching. Nothing happened for about a half hour and I was growing anxious. How long does it take? Gezz...

Another twenty minutes passed by of just me and Vivian talking about anything we could think of when it began. 

At first I swore my mind was playing tricks, but I walked over to my nest to check it out. Slowly, one of the eggs started shaking and small cracks appeared on the surface. 

"DR. WU! MY BABIES ARE HATCHING!" I screamed in excitement to Dr. Wu who stood about thirty feet away observing other nests. The cracks grew bigger and small noises could be heard from the inside. 

Dr. Wu rushed over to give me gloves for handling my babies and left. He said that I had to be the first thing they see or they will never trust me. 

The one egg continued to crack and an arm popped out, pushing the shell apart. The other egg didn't move at all. 

The exposed arm scratched at the outside of the shell to pick it apart. The cracks on the top were becoming more prominent as well. Next thing to pop out was her head. 

Oh... She was beautiful. Now that her head was out, I helped her out of the rest of the shell. Picking her up, I brought her up to eye level and held her there. She struggled to open her eyes fully and started wailing. Most definitely for her mother. 

"It's okay baby. Mommy's here." I cooed at her. She squinted her eyes and the slowly opened to look at me. Her crying ceased as we kept eye contact. My eyes watered up at how beautiful my baby is.  "My baby Thea." 

"Baby Tyrannosaurus Rex born at 12:23P.M. Name: Thea"