Chapter 7: Surprise! You Have One Arm...

I can hear some noise around me. What the noise is, I have no idea, but I hear it.

Pain bursts through my body centering around my left arm. I groan and reach with my right to grasp it in hopes it would somehow help. But to no avail, I can't find my arm. Why can't I find my arm. My right hand is reaching up and down until I just put it on my shoulder. I work my hand down my arm to find that it stops.

My eyes pop open and I sit up as quickly as possible. I glance down at where my arm should be, but it's not there. All that's there is a little stub that stops by my breast. Panic rises in my throat and I let out an earsplitting scream.

Tears pool in my eyes and flow down my cheeks. Where is my arm? What happened? I throw the blankets off me and notices my surroundings for the first time.

It seems like I'm in the infirmary. Where else would I be though for something like this? I see Claire sleeping in a chair at the end of m bed.

I clamber out of my bed and over to her.

"Claire?" I shake her arm. She doesn't move. "Claire" I tried a little a louder. I shook her a little more forcefully. Nothing.

"CLAIRE!" I shout in her ear, still sporting a good panicky voice. She shoots up into a more comfortable position and mumbles as she's rubbing her eyes. After she moves her hands I guess she noticed it was me.

"CHARLIE!" She wraps both of her arms around me and cries into my shoulder. "Oh my god! Charlie I'm so sorry! It's all my fault." I awkwardly put my one arm around her. Claire kept repeating that it was her fault.

How could it have been her fault? What did she mean?

"I forgot to tell them you would be in there. I forgot to tell ACU not to feed Thea until I gave an all clear when you were done with training." The color drained from my face.

Thea did this? My tears slowed down, but I didn't say anything. How could Thea have done this? How could Claire have forgotten? She works in the Control Room, she can SEE everything.

I pull away from the hug and mask my face with a stone cold expression. Claire just looks at me.

"Get out." She seems shocked by my command, but nods her head and goes to the door.

"I really am sorry Charlie, please don't let this ruin our friendship. You've become like a sister to me already, well a better one than my actual sister." With that she walks out. Nothing else said between us, and nothing else will ever be said between us.

****************

Physical therapy is annoying. I've been doing it for the past four weeks. I don't feel anymore pain from my "phantom limb" as they call it. I can handle using one arm pretty well.

My only problem is that they won't let me see my baby. ACU thinks it's bad for my health and state of mind to be near her. I disagree. I feel so much worse knowing that I can't see her.

My thoughts drift away into wonderland instead of listening to what I'm supposed to be doing. I wonder why everyone has been avoiding me like the plague. I'm perfectly fine, now. Then a man came in asking for me. I wasn't paying any attention to who it was, but I recognized the voice.

"Charlie?" He called my name. I snap out of my train of thought and look at him. I give him a "what" look. Barry sighs and tells me to follow him.

I look to my therapist and she signals that I'm free to go. I get up and leave the room, following behind Barry.

"You're a life saver Barry." I exhale deeply and notice that Barry winces. I mumble a "sorry" momentarily forgetting that he really did save my life.

"It's okay Char, I just came to get you because Mr. Masrani was asking for you. " That explains this. He has been avoiding me. He only came to see me because Simon asked him to get me. Are people that afraid of me right now? What harm could I possibly do? I have one arm and have yet to re-learn how to use a gun.

Barry walked me all the way to the Control Room. Why, why , why? Why does Simon have to be in here?

The guard at the door asked to see our badges, but I didn't have mine. He glanced at m stubby arm and let me through. Pity. Great, that's just what I want. Note my sarcasm there.

"Charlie it's so good to see you!" Mr. Masrani joyfully called out to me. He walked over from where Ms. Dearing stood and hugged me. "So how are you doing?"

Simon and I talked for a little while just catching up, but then he asked me the most amazing question I could ever hear in my life.

"When do you want to start training Thea again?"