Prequel

The middle-aged man with a goatee looked up from the job application in his hand. "Tell me why I should hire you among hundreds of applicants?" he asked twenty one year old Christian that is sitting across from his desk.

"Well, I am a fast learner, a hard worker, bilingual, and super friendly towards people." He answered bashfully.

"Do you have any barista experience?"

"No, but I took a mixtures course when I worked for T.G.I. Fridays eight months ago, so I am sure I can be taught how to make coffee beverages."

The older man hummed at the young red head. "And I see here you just graduated college with an Anthropology degree. Why aren't you applying for a job at a museum or an institute?"

Christian frowned and down-casted his honey-colored eyes to the floor. "It's complicated." He said. "I was having second thoughts about the career I chose and my ex and I broke up right before graduation and I just want to work a regular Joe's job until I can figure out what I truly want to do."

He stroked his goatee and was about to open his mouth when a young girl wearing a green apron and hat over her jeans and t-shirt opened the door. "Boss, sorry to interrupt but." Her eyes landed on Christian. "Hello." She greeted with a big smile.

"Hi." He greeted back with a huge smile as a sparkly aura surrounds him, making her blush. And that is when the older man made his decision.

After the interview was over, "I got the job." He happily announced on the phone. "I am going to be a barista at the Cup of Joe's coffee shop. "I'm starting tomorrow. Huh? Why would I tell Jason anything? He made it perfectly clear he didn't agree with my life choices, so there's no need. Yeah. Yeah. Talk to you guys later. And don't worry, I'll be sure to make time to go to the family barbeque next week." He hung up and exhaled. It's barley been a month since he and Jason broke up over different career and life choices, and wounds are very fresh in his mind as well as his heart.

When he made it to his efficiency apartment on the second floor, he looked around the small, cluttered, yet homey abode. "Home sweet home." he muttered as he walked over to the fridge, took out some left over food, warmed it up in the microwave, and made himself comfortable on the couch before scarfing his food down as he streams through different shows he likes.