18

The next morning, "Thanks for the ride, sis." A brunette that's 5'0 with brown eyes thanked Sarah when they parked in front of the coffee shop.

"Always." She told him. "Now, we're picking you up when work is finished, so be sure to shift when you're leaving."

The brunette pouted. "And how do you propose I do that? Jump in the bushes."

Sarah rolled her eyes. "Change in the bathroom."

"Yeah. Yeah." He said as he unbuckled himself. "But I'm not staying in this form when we hang out with Sean later."

"But."

"Oh, come on. What are the odds of that wacko finding me at a were-wolf event? I don't think he'd risk going after someone with that many supernatural people around."

Sarah frowned. "Nevertheless, we recommend it. Especially, with the track record you've been keeping recently."

The brunette huffed as he's getting out of the blue Lexus. "I'll see you later." He mumbled before shutting the car door and heading inside.

Sarah let out an agonizing sigh. "Why must he be so difficult?" She quizzed herself before putting the car into gear and taking off.

On the side of the coffee shop, Christian emerged from his hiding spot and examined himself with the window's reflection and breathed a sigh of relief. "I don't know how you do it, Harry." He spoke to his invisible bodyguard. "I can't picture having to be in disguise all the time. Or in your case, not be seen all the time."

His phone binged and read a text saying, 'You get get used to it after a while of working in the field. Now, it's time to clock in. It's already been risky standing out here longer than needed. Christian huffed a second time that morning before entering.

A few hours later, "One, two, three, four, five, six." Christian counted as he placed the drinks in to-go cardboard trays.

"Caffeine! Caffeine!" a group of college students chanted as they banged their fists on the counter. They cheered when Christian finished and is doing his best to walk the drinks over without dropping them. Before he could place the drinks down, two of the boys snatched them from his palms.

Christian exhaled in relief making one of his co-workers chuckle. "I see you met the motley crew."

"Whatever they are. I'm just glad they paid first. I don't know why, but I can picture them running off without paying if given the first chance."

"Probably." His co-worker said. "How about taking a quick break?"

Christian's eyes lit. "Yes please! Oh, and can I have a day old danish with my drink of choice today?"

Christian took a seat in the far corner of the shop where patrons are enjoying their drinks and pastries. He has a cheese danish hanging from his mouth as he checked his social media page on his phone. The sound of a chair scraping against the floor jolted him from his activities.

"Hey."

"Jason?" Christian asked incredulously with the cheese danish still in his mouth. "What are you doing here?"

"What have I told you about talking with your mouth full? Anyways, I'm on my lunch break and decided to check in on you."

Rolling his eyes, Christian pulled half of the pastry out of his mouth while he devoured the other half. "You didn't have to. I'm fine."

"And I was hoping we could talk."

"Talk about what?"

"Everything that happened between us."

Christian narrowed his eyes at his ex. "Unless it's an apology. I don't want to hear it. You're the reason we broke up."

"I know." Jason admitted. "And I shouldn't have overreacted. However, you must also understand how your decision affected me."

"You?"

Jason let out a tiny growl. "Yes, me. How would you feel if the plans you were making with somebody you were with was changed in an instant?"

Christian blew a raspberry. "What plans? We never made specific plans. It's not like we were going to live together."

"Even so. I was supposed to work in marketing. And you were supposed to pursue Anthology. You never gave any indications of changing careers. If you felt this way before, why didn't you tell me?"

Christian opened his mouth then shut it. "To be honest, I was fine with it through all the years we were in college." his gaze wandered down to the floor. "But when we were about to graduate I started having second thoughts for some reason. I started thinking what was to come and chose not to go through with it. And I was afraid that you'd be upset with me because we both worked so hard to earn our degrees. Well, you have multiple degrees thanks to you being a zombie."

Jason placed his hand over Christian's. "I wish you could've told me that sooner. This would've spared us the drama."

Christian scowled at him. "I tried. But you wouldn't listen to me. You were too busy lecturing me."

"Christian. I'm very."

"Time to get back to work." Christian's boss interrupted them. "You two can make-out later."

Christian gaped at the man with a goatee. "Can't we have one more minute? We were in the middle of something important here."

"Not unless you want me to write you up for being defiant. Now, march." his boss pointed towards the counter making Christian puff his cheeks out making Jason laugh.

"It's alright." Jason said. "We were just about finished."

Christian gave him a look. "Oh no you don't. Apologize to me. That's what you were about to do."

Jason let out a snort. "In your dreams. Now, I shall see you later at the fair." He got up and excused himself.

"I hate you." Christian hissed out angrily before narrowing his eyes. "Wait a minute. What do you mean you're coming to the fair?!" he yelled out but Jason was long gone. "Son of a."

The sound of his boss clearing his throat cut him off. Groaning, Christian trudged back to the counter to take orders.