Chapter 6 - Conservation of Energy

Zoe

Worried glaces are flashed around the kitchen before I finally stand between Max and Dean.

"I had kicked Brandon's ass, and had Teddy between my legs... So it had to be one of you two." I pointed at both of them. "Answer the question, who the fuck knocked me out?"

Frustrated when they don't answer, I fix my focus on Dean. "What? Are you scared of a little girl?" I scoffed.

"I wouldn't go as far to say you kicked my ass..." Brandon trails off.

"If you'd like, I'd totally get between your legs again." Teddy called.

I ignore them and keep my eyes boring into Dean's. He may be twice my size and is big enough to even swallow me whole, but knocking me out is so fucked up, and my headache still persists.

"What'd you clock me with?" I ask. "Your gun?"

I take a step even closer to Dean. My bare toes are kissing the fronts of his boots as I glare up at him. I can see his muscles coil and tighten when he balls his fists, almost like he could kill me for daring to look him in the eye.

"I know it was you." I press my fork into his hip and slowly press it in. "It's a low blow attacking someone from behind. It's weak." I slowly pull away and give him an eerily innocent smile.

"I don't forget, and I never forgive." And with that I turn on my heels and head to the room I woke up in.

I fight the urge to turn when I hear the men collectively let out a breath, as if they were holding it for minutes. I'm aware of the effect I have on men. I can admit that I know that I'm attractive, and I often use it as a weapon. I can also admit that I know how my bruteness and fire can attract the worst of them. Nice guys don't go after a challenge. I knew I was surrounded by the bad guys, maybe even my enemies, but for now I can play nice if it helps me get closer to what I want.

I want to destroy this business my father built, and completely crumble his legacy. What better way to keep tabs than literally sleeping with the enemy?

There were some darker dealings layered underneath just the drugs, weapons, and gambling rings. Those are the trades I didn't care about. However, I am very aware of the flesh trade slowly growing. Whether or not the Karma men know about these dealings, it was my job to infiltrate the company and wreak havoc on the one's responsible for buy and sell of women and children.

I finally make it back to the room and plop myself across the bed to take in my morning. I'd be lying if I said I didn't find all four of these men wildly attractive. They are almost made up; completely fictional. Men that you could only ever envision in Greek mythology. They were gods-- no, devils. It's going to be harder than I thought to keep my body and mind in control around them, but with great risk comes great reward.

There wasn't any use in trying to escape now. I finally have my in just like I wanted. I knew they'd find me if I let them. I didn't necessarily think they'd kidnap me, but everything still worked out mostly according to plan.

What did catch me off guard is learning about the target on my head. I thought I had only been killing off the hit's that belong to the Karma men. A few of my hits were purely out of my own self gratification, but I'm not sure which kills have ruffled feathers. Hopefully joining Max's operations will shield me from retaliation, at least for now.

My thoughts are shaken away when there is a knock at my door, "Yes?" I call out, not moving from my lying position.

"Zoe," Max starts, "I will be leaving shortly with Dean. Brandon and Teddy will be here to keep an eye on you. Please, behave."

Groaning, I sit up, "I don't need babysitters, I don't plan on leaving." Max doesn't respond and just turns away to leave the room.

"Max," I call for him, causing him to stop in his tracks. "Where are you going?"

"Just a few fires to put out. I really mean it, you need to behave yourself while I'm away." He swallows.

"Why's that?" I ask.

"Teddy... He isn't like us. If you push his buttons, he can't control himself-- his reactions, I mean. Without Dean and I here, Brandon can only stop so much. Really, just lay low." Max warns.

Scoffing, I say, "I can take care of myself. I'm not scared of the great Teddy fucking Karma."

"You should be," Max sighs. Without another word, Max gives me a tight lipped smile and exits the room leaving the door open.

He's just trying to scare you to keep you compliant, I remind myself, Teddy can't be worse than you.

I push away Max's warnings and stroll to the window wall to take in the view. Was this a stupid idea? I put myself into this situation, set on my goals and willing to follow through with the outcome. I know I only had a few hours to make my final decision, but it doesn't help that I am now second guessing everything that has led me to this point.

There are a few things I still have questions about, but I will wait to bring them up when we can finally discuss terms. Part of me knows that there is no way the Karma men know about the sex trafficking ring and its affiliation with their organization. However, I still can't share the information I have yet.

What if they're the ones actually orchestrating it, but remain hidden behind the scenes? What if I walked myself straight into the snake pit, for them to only sell me into the ring? Is that why they kidnapped me? If they were angry about me stealing their hits, they should've had me in a warehouse somewhere torturing me for information-- not placing me in a luxury bedroom and feeding me breakfast.

Granted, they did offer me a job; a partnership. Maybe that's just what they want me to believe. Maybe I haven't been the one in control like I thought, what if I've been an ignorant puppet this whole time? Could they have truly known my identity for the last four years and just played the long game?

What is their true motive? Was it all as innocent as it seems? What the hell have I done? I have no car with me, my phone is gone, my shoes are gone, and worst of all-- I have no fucking clue where I am.

"Penny for your thoughts, princess?" Brandon asks, shattering my train of thought.

I turn away from the window and look towards him, "You'd need a lot of pennies."

I cross my arms and watch him approach me with a bundle of items in his hands.

"I brought you a clean change of clothes, and some toiletries for the time being." He passes me a pair of gray sweatpants and white t-shirt.

"Thanks. Dried blood gets itchy so I've been in need of a shower." I say.

"Plus you are smelling pretty ripe."  He scrunches his nose as if he smells something sour.

I roll my eyes and saunter towards the bathroom, Brandon on my heels. I set the soaps on the counter in front of me while I finally glanced at myself in the mirror. I shudder at the sight. My hair is a tangled mess, there is dried blood smeared on my neck and arms and my mascara has been horrendously smudged under my eyes. I look like a wreck. Typically I wouldn't care if I've been seen like this, but considering I am surrounded by Greek gods, I can't help but feel the embarrassment crawl up my necks and cheeks.

"Where are we?" I ask Brandon. The question falls from my lips before it can stop.

"We're still in Washington." He replies.

I try not to push it, relaxing at the idea of us still being in Washington.

"Take the deal, princess." Brandon says as I turn the shower on to warm up.

Not wanting to dive into specifics just yet I simply turn to face him and hold the bathroom door open for him and gesture for him to get out.

"Right." He clicks his tongue. "I'll leave you to it, but once you've finished meet me down stairs, there is something I'd like to show you."

I shut the door behind him and click the lock. I finally step into the burning hot water and let the spray engulf me.