chihuahuas can be deadly

"gateway arch"

"gateway arch"

TWO DAYS WERE SPENT ON THE AMTRAK TRAIN. The train wove in between hills and went over rivers and lakes.

Nothing happened. Everything was calm. But Andromeda didn't buy it. She couldn't relax. She had a nagging feeling that someone, or something, was watching her. She hated it.

The quartet had to lay low because both Percy and Andromeda were all over the news and newspapers. There was a picture of them getting off the bus before it exploded. Percy's sword was nothing but blur of bronze, and Andromeda's daggers were out of sight. Percy's eyes were wild, and Andromeda looked shocked.

The caption said:

Twelve-year-old Percy Jackson, wanted for questioning in the Long Island disappearance of his mother two weeks ago, is shown here fleeing from the bus where he accosted several elderly female passengers. He was seen with Andromeda Nictomyn, who was part of the Louisiana missing persons case seven years ago. The bus exploded on an east New Jersey roadside shortly after Jackson fled the scene. Based on eyewitness accounts, police believe the two may be traveling with two teenage accomplices. His stepfather, Gabe Ugliano, has offered a cash reward for information leading to his capture. Andromeda's father, Gale Nyctomin, who was just released from prison two years ago, begs for people to keep an eye out for her, and to contact him or the authorities if she is spotted.

"I can't go back," Andromeda almost sobbed when she saw it, "I can't go back. They can't make me go back."

Annabeth hugged Andromeda. Looking over her shoulder, she said something to Percy, but Andromeda was too scared to listen.

Andromeda couldn't sit still. Her knee was bouncing up and down, and every once in a while she would get up and walk around the train a bit. Looking out the windows didn't help her calm down. If she was found, she would be sent back to her mother. She didn't want to go back to her mother.

They didn't have seats in the quiet section of the train, which was meant for sleeping, so they slept in the seats they had. Andromeda would doze off little, but what little sleep she had was plagued with dreams of her mother.

When she woke up from her nightmares, Percy's head was on her shoulder, and a trail of drool was falling out of his mouth and onto her Camp Half-Blood shirt. She almost moved him off, but sound sleep was rare for demigods, and she didn't want to ruin his chance of peace. However, it was hard to get very much sleep with Grover bleating and snoring so loudly. Once, he stirred around, and his fake foot and shoe fell off. The three demigods rushed to put it back on before anybody noticed.

"So," Annabeth said after the sneaker was secured on Grover's foot, "Who wants your help?"

"What do you mean?" Percy asked.

"When you were asleep just now, you mumbled, 'I won't help you.' Who were you dreaming about?"

Percy hesitated. Andromeda had heard him mumbling, too. But she didn't judge, because she was pretty sure she talked in her sleep.