not-so-amusing amusement park

"nickname"

"nickname"

DREAMS WERE ANDROMEDA'S LEAST FAVORITE THING. Especially if they were flashbacks of when she lived with her dad. She had them almost every night unless a monster decided to butt in and interrupt.

On the Amtrak train, Andromeda fell into a sleep that was plagued with an abnormal amount of nightmares. Most of them were memories of her life in the mortal world.

The first one was the worst.

She was four, and it was just a year before her father was put in prison. Andromeda had been left alone at home while her dad went to the store to get a few things, mostly beer. Since she had no protection, a gorgon had sensed her. Smelled her and judged her defenseless enough to attack.

Andromeda hadn't been expecting it, nobody who is oblivious to the demigod world really expects monsters to attack. The gorgon had broken through a window in the living room, and Andromeda had heard the shattering of the glass. She thought it was her dad, breaking bottles again, maybe his football team had lost. Whatever the reason, Andromeda knew she would be responsible for cleaning it up.

But when she entered the living room, she screamed. It wasn't the first time she had seen a monster, but she had never seen one so up close. She repeated what she had always been taught.

"It's just my imagination," she said to herself, "It's just my imagination."

It wasn't working. The monster wouldn't go away. It only started advancing. Getting closer and closer to Andromeda. Andromeda's breathing quickened, and she backed away.

She grabbed for a can of beer that was on the counter, throwing it at the monster, but it bounced harmlessly off her head. Andromeda ran around the island, looking for more things to throw.

The monster was getting close, and Andromeda's death was getting even closer. That was, until Andromeda's dad opened the front door.

He stopped, eyes wide as he looked at the broken window and the glass shards on the floor. Slowly, he turned to look at Andromeda.

"Andromeda," he said with a false calmness in his voice, "What did you do?!"

"Nothing!" Andromeda tried to explain, "There was a monster! And it broke the window to get in! The glass is on the inside, not the outside. Which means something broke it from outside—"

"SHUT UP!" he yelled, "GO TO YOUR ROOM!"

Tears threatened to spill from her eyes, and as she made her way to the back of the house, her dad picked up a bigger shard of glass from the window and threw it.