Chapter 9

MYA

"Hey, do you have a second?", I ask Lukas as he steps out of his classroom. He looks at me surprised, then nods while coming closer to me, wrapping his arms around me and giving me a kiss on my forehead. He then looks over at his best friend, saying bye to him. Percy nods and while winking at me, he goes down the hallway in the other direction.

"What's up?", Lukas asks me, not having let me go but with some distance between our heads so that he can look me in the eyes.

"I need to ask you something, but I need you to be honest, okay? Screw the rules."

His eyebrow is raised as he looks at me confused. I only continue: "Did you write the letter to me in English class?"

He freezes, then starts shaking his head. "No, no, I didn't."

"Are you sure?", I insist, a part of me hoping he'd say yes. Because if not, it means I have a stalker and I'm rather uncomfortable with that thought.

"Mya, I swear, I wasn't the one who wrote you the letter."

His tone shows me he's being honest. I sigh exhausted and start nodding, not being able to stop.

"Why, what happened?", he asks me, his voice hiding thousands of worries.

I look around, not wanting to discuss this. Especially not where everybody can hear us.

"Nothing happened", I lie.

He sees right through me.

"What did your letter say?", he continues.

I shake my head.

Lukas wraps an arm around me and pulls me closer, giving me a kiss on the top of my head. "It's fine", he whispers, his lips not moving an inch away. "You'll be fine. It's fine."

For some reason, maybe that's exactly what I needed to hear.

Lukas places some distance between us, looking straight into my eyes. "What are you doing later today?"

"I don't know, study."

He chuckles. "School started a few days ago."

I look at him to show him I don't see the point. "Even more reasons to study."

He goes with a hand through his hair, not knowing what to say. "Look, why don't we go karting today?"

Cocky bastard. He knows that's my favorite thing ever.

"I'm listening", I reply.

"If you want, I could pick you up after training, and we'll go together."

"That won't be necessary", I reply. "I'll wait."

"You don't have to, I can pick you up if you want", he insists.

I give him a soft kiss on his cheek. "That would be too much of an effort for just two hours." He raises an eyebrow, so I continue. "And besides, I like seeing you play."

His eyebrow goes higher. "You do?"

I nod. "Mhm."

He comes wrap one arm around my shoulders and we start walking together. "In that case..."

"I'll beat you at karting tonight", I mumble on the way.

"Oh, I have no doubt in that", he says.

I smile as he presses a kiss on my temple.