Chapter 40

ASHTON

If there is one thing I despise is Family Day at Venier Private High School.

And if there's one thing I despise more is Family Day at Venier Private High School on my birthday.

Not that I'd care much about the day, for me it's just another random day, but the fact I have to spend it parading like the Perfect Family with Sloane and Father through the halls of the school, that's a whole different story.

The day starts with me waking up.

I know, what a plot twist.

Made it eighteen years of my life and now I'm finally able to go whenever I want far away from here. At least that's something to celebrate. I have always pictured the day of my eighteenth birthday to be the day I run away from home.

But now, there is no way I'm leaving. For I found a new home in the arms of a girl and running away would make me homesick.

I go downstairs wearing my signature black outfit. Jeans, T-Shirt, leather jacket, boots. Maddie is already there, wearing a glittery short dress she matched with some heels. Although it's ten in the morning, she already has makeup on and seems ready to go.

"Happy birthday, brother", Maddie tells me, coming to kiss my cheek and have me in a hug.

"Happy birthday, Mads", I tell her in return.

She smiles, chuckling soft. It's then she looks around and from her bag, she takes out something. A small gift. As I unwrap it, I have to stop. For the gift is a piece of wood we carved when we were eight. It has "MADDIE AND ASH" written on it, then a "4EVER".

"Best twin", I tell her, kissing the top of her head.

I rush upstairs and come back with her gift. She gives me a hug before she opens it and lets out a gasp. I got her a necklace of a diamond.

"You know diamonds are the most resistant thing on Earth", I begin, helping her put it on. "Gorgeous, yet impossible to break. It reminded me of you."

"Thank you", she whispers between tears, holding her fingers wrapped around the charm. "Thank you so much."

As we let go, she clears her throat to get her voice normal again. "Sloane is getting ready for Family Day at the saloon, Father is at a meeting. They said they'll meet us at the school, five minutes before it starts. I'm going out, so we'll meet..."

"You're leaving?", I ask her confused.

She nods, feeling a bit sorry. "I know, I am really sorry. I wanted to stay, but I made some plans with some friends", she explains. "I'll come directly to school when it starts."

What am I supposed to do? Mourn my existence?

"Cheer up, buttercup", she says and as a coincidence, a loud engine can be heard outside. I started knowing that engine by heart. Mya.

I don't need someone to ask me before I rush outside to greet her. As if knowing I'd do that Mya is leaning against her car, arms crossed at her chest, rocking her outfit. A short black skirt with a black rib top, some black boots and a racer jacket.

She looks so fucking gorgeous. Best birthday present ever.

"Hey there, birthday boy", she begins, smirking at me.

I smirk back and go down the stairs, coming next to her. I tuck one of her strands behind her ear and then kiss the heck out of her. The whole world could be watching, I'd still kiss her the same.

Mya chuckles as she lets go, saying: "I spent a lot of time choosing what to get you."

"Mhm?", I ask her confused. "I don't need any presents, I already have you."