Chapter 58

MADDIE & MYA

MADDIE

As I enter my room, I find all my belongings in ashes on the floor.

That's when I scream.

Someone closes the door behind me, and I immediately have to look up and try to run. It's Sloane. Yet I'm trapped.

She won't hurt you, Maddie. She won't hurt you.

Keep fucking dreaming.

I am so close to shout Ashton's name, but then remember he still remained in Boston after Bahrain, having to finish up one more thing with the contract and their new house. I still can't believe he bought a new house for him and Mya. Then again, it might as well have been the smartest thing he ever did. He found himself a home to start a new family with.

One that doesn't want to run you over with a car to crush your knee and ruin your dreams.

"Hello, Maddie", Sloane says. Something in her voice has my fingers clenching to a fist that I hide behind me, just to be sure.

She noticed. "Oh, don't worry, I won't hurt you. I'd rather be more concerned about your little boyfriend."

Lukas

She comes closer to me and hands me a picture of Lukas and me kissing in the garage. Apparently, F1 garages have cameras for the people to see the team. I thought nobody saw us. When in fact, everybody saw us.

It's all my fault.

"What did you do to him?!", I shout.

She lets out a laughter. "Nothing much. Your father is just on his way to cancel your admission at Yale. We are not sending you over there. We had our doubts when hearing the name of who has been selected with you, but now..."

"You can't force me here", I shout, tears rolling down my face.

The door slams open.

But it isn't Ashton. I know it can't be. He's in Boston, Maddie. He can't help you, Maddie.

It's Father.

"You foolish girl", he shouts at me, slapping my face. I fall down, my body feeling weak all of a sudden.

"How could you get together with that bastard?", he continues shouting at me. He then curses at me. Then at Lukas. Then at the both of us. He throws something at the wall. He punches it too. His fist meets my skin.

I just take it all. He can call me whatever he'd like, but I am not going to do anything that will bring Lukas in trouble.

I'll just break.

Shatter.

Break.

~

MYA

"Sweetheart", my phone rings. I'm in my car, rushing over at Maddie's. The internet is blasting with the news of her and Lukas together, since a picture of them kissing back in the APOLLO garage reached the press.

I'm afraid that lunatic might do something to my best friend.

"Yes, Ash", I respond, putting the call on Bluetooth. Babe remained in Boston, partly to finish up some contracts, partly because I made him promise he ain't going back to his parents after what they did. I'd much certain would like to know my love safe, and not somewhere being broken by some people who thrive on destroying others.

"Something is up", he tells me. "I think Maddie is in danger."

"I'm on my way to her as we speak", I try reassuring him. It doesn't work. I'm also worried as hell.

That's why you also brought the cool stuff, Mya.

"Sweetheart", he lets out, his voice a tremble.

"What?"

"You know I love you for doing that, but you're putting yourself in danger."

"Don't worry", I tell him. "He should be the one who should be scared."

I hang up before he can comment anything else.

~

MADDIE

I'm puking in the bathroom from the pain as something breaking outside is to be heard. I quickly wash my face with some water and go to the window to look. A big black SUV is driving straight into the huge statue of Father on the driveway. I can see Father running outside together with Sloane, looking at how his precious statue is damaged, trying to place themselves in front of the car to stop it. The car stops, but the statue is already broken. Pieces of marble on the floor, dust all around.

I smile. And have to laugh between tears.

I remember how Ash and I were never allowed to touch said statue. I think Father cared about it more than he did about us.

All gone.

I laugh louder.

The car to the driver's seat opens and a big black boot steps outside, then the second one, then I can see Mya standing there. Red short dress, black leather jacket on, black sunglasses, she screams "Do not mess with me". I hurry downstairs, just to take any punches for her in case Father decides to apply her the same treatment as with me seconds ago.

As she sees me, Mya gasps and rushes past Father and Sloane to have me in a hug.

"What did he do?", she whispers to me.

I start crying as I feel her hands around me. Cursing once, she lifts me up and carries me inside the car, locking the doors so that he can't get to me anymore. She yells something at him before she steps inside the driver's seat and drives away while flipping him off.

"You're safe now", she tells me in a warm voice as we're far enough and are driving along the highway. "You're safe. He can't hurt you anymore."

I don't know why, but I start crying.