Chapter 46

ASHTON

I'm at the gym, lifting weights, as I get the call. "Ash, where are you?", Maddie begins talking. I notice she's crying. There is fear in her voice. "Ash, please. I need you. Please come home. I'm scared."

I don't need her to tell it to me a second time.

Things have been more tense than usual at the house lately. First of all, Father lost about fifty business partners after some news about him blackmailing people appeared on the internet. Transcripts, bank accounts overviews and other evidence proved the theory. I know the one responsible for Father's downfall is made of two words. Adam. Cunnan. And honestly, I'd rather thank the man. He wasn't lying as he promised Father he will suffer for how he talked to Mya.

Then, Sloane remained pregnant. And after feeling forced to marry her so he can get his heir, Father noticed the said heirs started to get too many. And guess what he did? Cut off me. I'm no longer part of his will. However, I am still expected to continue his company. That's his one condition. I get back my share if I attend Princeton and take over the company. Which, you guessed it? It will never fucking happen. Hence why he started taking out his anger at me. After completely ruining my back with a steaming iron, making me scared to over remain shirtless in front of my girlfriend again, so that she doesn't have to see the scar that will forever remain on my back, he sometimes calls me to the house to talk, when all he ever does is punching.

I got scared as Mya asked me about the bruise under my cheek that day at the library. I later lied to her it was from soccer.

It wasn't.

It's why I spend my time in the gym. Because I stroke a deal with Father. If he promises me to not lay a finger on Maddie, I'll do what he wants. I'll go to Princeton and take over the company. Just if he leaves my sister safe.

He agreed. We even shook hands. I was later pushed in the wall, hurting my already ruined back, but it didn't matter. My sister was safe. I wasn't, but she was. And that's all that mattered.

As I arrive at the house, I find Maddie sitting on the stairs outside. A black eye and tears are the first things I notice.

I run up the stairs to her: "Maddie, what happened?", I ask her worried.

"I'm scared", she shakes. 

I give her a kiss on the top of my head and add: "Get inside the car. I'll be right back."

"Ash, don't", she stops me, standing up and almost falling back down again. I catch her before she reaches the ground. "He's not stable now", she continues. "Don't. He'll hurt you."

"I won't let him", I assure her. I help Maddie to the passenger's seat of the car and offer her water. It's then my eyes darken and I storm inside, all the way to my Father's office. "We had a fucking deal", I hiss at him as greeting.

"Hello to you too, Ashton", he greets me. "So nice of you to come back home once in a while." I spent my last nights working out then crashing at a hotel or in my car. I was not coming to this house. Wasn't planning to, until today. My cards are still working, only my will ain't, so I still have money to live.

"We had a deal", I repeat. "Use me, spare Maddie. Hence why I ask, why is she crying outside with a black eye?"

"Your sister insulted Sloane", he answers.

I raise an eyebrow, knowing Maddie would never do that. "What did she say?"

"She said Sloane is pretty", he answers.

I get even more confused. "And where is the insult in that?"

"Sloane isn't pretty", he replies.

I stop. Why the heck did that woman agree to marry him? Even pregnant, that baby is bound to have a much better life away from him.

"Don't expect Maddie nor I here tonight", I cut him short, wanting to leave.

He stops me. "You might not give a shit about the money in the will, but your sister needs that, Ashton. If she isn't here by tomorrow, she can kiss it all goodbye."

I come back closer to him, feeling very very pissed. "Don't you dare touch her again, you piece of-"

I stop. For a hand slaps over my mouth, making me bleed.

I pull away, staring at him. I hate him. I know it. I hate him. "Don't talk to me like that", he counters.

"If Maddie is hurt again, you can kiss your whole twisted life goodbye", I say, this time walking away. I don't even stop as he laughs. I only stop as I find Sloane reading a magazine as she lounges on an armchair. The door was open, she obviously has heard all that. And did not help.

"Go", I tell her. "Go, save yourself. Find a better life. That baby would be better off without all of this, I promise. He or she might not get the glam, but they'll be safe. Do you seriously want them ending up like this?", I point at myself.

Sloane shrugs unbothered, just turning to a new page. "This winter collection seems nice, don't you think?", she asks me, showing me the page of magazine. She then looks at me again. "Look, Ashton, I don't care. I am better here. I got everything I need."

"But the baby?", I ask again.

She shrugs.

"You're just as fucked-up as he is", I hiss, walking away and closing the door with a bang. I see Maddie crying inside the car. If I come to her like this, she'll only cry more. So I count to ten in my head, calm down and walk there planning to be the brother she deserves.

"What happened?", she asks me, noticing the blood around my mouth. She cries. I break.

"It's fine, Mads", I tell her. "I'm fine. Don't worry about me."

She keeps crying as I drive down the driveway. "Where are we going?", she asks me.

She nods, shaking a bit. "Somewhere safe", I answer.

"Can I stay with you, Ash? You're not coming back home, are you?", she continues.

I shake my head. She expected that. "Can I come with you?", she insists. "Please, Ashton. Don't leave me. Please."

It pains me to see her like this.

It kills me seeing her break and knowing there's nothing more I can do to help her.

She might need that money, Ashton. Don't fucking take this chance away from her. It really is a lot of money.

"I'm so sorry, Mads", I let out.

She nods. She has expected that too. We keep driving in silence. I might not be able to take her out of that house forever yet, but I for sure can do my best to protect her.