Chapter 11

LUKAS

I love seeing her happy.

She is jumping in front of the entrance to the karting arena, like this place would be her favorite in the whole entire world.

In another life, maybe we would be a couple. In another life, maybe we would actually be soulmates. Not in this one. We both know this whole arrangement was never made for us two to fall in love. However, I got something that I will always be grateful for.

A best friend.

One that knows all my secrets, all my ups and downs. Someone who respects me and likes me for who I am.

"Why are you taking so long?", she asks, smiling above both ears. "Let's go inside."

I chuckle and head to my trunk, taking out something I got last minute from my locker. Her favorite jacket. The black and blue one, with the "APOLLO" written in big white bold letters on the front, then her family name and number one on the back.

"You did not", she says as she sees the jacket. I nod and come close to her, helping her to put it on. She didn't want to kart in her uniform, so she remained in a very small black top with a black skirt and some boots.

She's stunning. I hope her future boyfriend will get what a luck he had to be with her.

"It's perfect", I manage to say. "You look perfect."

She smiles and hits me with her elbow in my ribcage, then takes my hand and leads me inside. She wants to pay for our tickets but I beat her to it, which has her talking for at least ten minutes how she's going to pay me back later and I keep answering it's fine.

After a while, she mumbles: "You know, I don't think I have ever seen anyone go karting in an all Ralph Lauren look."

I smile, making sure my sweater sits right. She chuckles and as the lady at the counters lets us know it's our turn, we run over to the garage. We've been karting before, and this has been her all-time favorite place, for it goes as close to a real Grand Prix as it can. There is a garage to choose your karts. The karts and helmets are personalized to look like the ones of the real F1teams. 

Mya rushes to the APOLLO kart, getting her brother's number. She quickly sends a snap to him, as caption saying "New teammate?".

I go to the red kart next to hers, the one that looks like the car of Chris Graves, the ASTORIA driver.

"Not bad", Mya tells me at the choice of kart. I smile, for I know her. Everything apart from the ESPEN karts and I'm safe.

We both put the helmets on and get inside the karts, heading to the starting line.

As the five lights go out, we start speeding down the track.

And it's only then I manage to get the letter I got today out of my head.